Blue Diamond Almonds Global Ingredients Division, the world’s foremost almond processor and supplier, announced the launch of their first ever line of almond flour. This ingredient will contribute to the nutritional enhancement and expansion of formulation possibilities for food manufacturers across the globe.
According to Bill Morecraft, Blue Diamond Global Ingredients Division general manager, as the trend for healthier and more nutritious ingredients gains momentum among consumers, food manufacturers continue to seek partners who can help create products that meet these demands.
“Almond flour is nutritiously superior to other processed flours,” Morecraft said, noting that each quarter cup serving contains six grams of protein, 3.5 grams of fiber and 75 mg of calcium. “Additionally, almond flour is low on the glycemic index, is naturally gluten-free and a great food source of antioxidant vitamin E.”
Blue Diamond has three almond flour options available:
- Extra Fine Natural: With exceptionally fine granulation, it is as versatile as blanched flour while maintaining a natural light tan color
- Extra Fine Blanched: The finest granulation almond flour available with a powder-like consistency that is perfect for delicate cookies, breads and cakes
- Fine Blanched: Gives nutritious texture to everyday baking and cooking, and toasts to a rich golden color
A challenge for many food manufacturers is creating a product that’s nutritious and tasty, because adding extra components—such as enriched nutrients—can alter taste, according to Morecraft. Therefore, it’s very important to choose ingredients wisely.
“Blue Diamond almond flour contains calcium and mono-unsaturated good fats while still ensuring the end products remain moist much longer than traditional baked goods,” Morecraft said.
Blue Diamond almond flour offers versatility to food manufacturers in a wide array of applications—from cakes and crusts, to breading and sauces. Examples include:
- Bakery applications such as cakes, breads and muffins
- Almond flour in crackers helps them stay crispy longer
- Coatings applications for fish and chicken
- Thickening agent for sauces and soups, adding nutrition in this growing category
In addition to versatility, product longevity and nutrition, Blue Diamond Almond Flour can be easily substituted for traditional flours in existing recipes without compromising taste or texture.
“It comes down to the fact that food companies can begin formulating new products with almond flour that will be healthier and more nutritious versions of products consumers already love,” said Morecraft. “It’s a win-win for the consumer and for our customers.”
Blue Diamond almond flour is produced at the company’s Turlock, Calif., manufacturing facility. The plant has state-of-the art clean room technology and recently won “Plant of the Year” from a leading food industry publication.