Yakult U.S.A. Inc., a subsidiary of Yakult Honsha Co. Ltd., Tokyo, Japan, announced the start of the production of Yakult, a leading probiotic drink, at its newly constructed state-of-the-art California production plant on May 16.
The California plant, located in Fountain Valley, Orange County, Calif., had been under construction since June 2012.
The sales of Yakult have been increasing steadily over the years. In 2013, sales averaged about 182,000 bottles a day, a 112.6 percent increase over 2012.
This plant will allow the company to supply the North American market with Yakult produced in the United States instead of importing from Mexico, to meet expected future growth of its business, and to provide a more stable supply source.
Overview of the plant:
- Plant Name: Yakult U.S.A. Inc., California plant
- Location: Fountain Valley, Orange County, Calif.
- Site area: Approx. 8.891 acres (387,300 square meters)
- Building area: Approx. 63,500 square feet
- Total floor area: Approx. 76,800 square feet
- Production capacity: Initial production capacity of 400,000 bottles per day
- Production item: Probiotic dairy beverage "Yakult®"
- Areas to be supplied: United States