ChromaDex Corp. (OTCQB: CDXC), an innovative natural products company that provides proprietary, science-based solutions and ingredients to the dietary supplement, food & beverage, animal health, cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries, announced today the introduction of PURENERGY™, a patented co-crystal ingredient comprised of caffeine and ChromaDex's pTeroPure® pterostilbene that forms a unique crystalline structure having significant advantages as compared to caffeine alone.
PURENERGY demonstrated in animal models a six to eight times longer half-life as compared to caffeine alone. This suggests that PURENERGY may provide longer sustained energy and alertness with a more gradual finish, preventing the "crash" typically experienced when ingesting caffeinated products. This patented new ingredient technology should allow formulators of caffeinated products the opportunity to reduce the total amount of caffeine without affecting the consumers' product experience.
Frank Jaksch, cofounder and CEO of ChromaDex, stated, "There has been and will continue to be tremendous demand for caffeinated products across many markets including energy, functional beverages, sports nutrition and weight loss. We believe that PURENERGY offers a responsible, next-generation alternative to heavy doses of caffeine. PURENERGY balances the consumer's desire to feel the effects of caffeine with the pressure consumer product companies are under to reduce caffeine levels in finished products."
Recently, highly caffeinated products have been coming under increased regulatory and political scrutiny regarding the possible risks of consuming high amounts caffeine. Specifically:
- In March 2012, a Chicago City Alderman proposed banning energy drinks with at least 180 milligrams of caffeine.
- In October 2012, U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) and U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) challenged the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to quickly identify and recommend remedies for weaknesses and loopholes in current law that are exploited by energy drink manufacturers in order to avoid oversight and offer products containing additives and high levels of caffeine that have not been proven safe.
- In December 2012, Canada's regulatory agency, Health Canada, capped the amount of caffeine in energy drinks.
- In March 2013, a group of 18 doctors, researchers and public health experts jointly urged the FDA to take action on energy drinks to protect adolescents and children from the possible risks of consuming high amounts of caffeine.
- In March 2013, the American Heart Association Meeting Report cited energy drinks may increase blood pressure and disturb the heart's rhythm.
Given the co-crystal formulation of caffeine with pTeroPure, PURENERGY also has additional functional health benefits that include cognitive function, antioxidant activity, heart health and weight management support. ChromaDex's patented pTeroPure is a 99 percent pure, nature-identical pterostilbene with seven patents pending or issued. pTeroPure was named the 2010 North American Most Promising Ingredient of the Year by the independent research company, Frost & Sullivan. PURENERGY and pTeroPure are manufactured exclusively for ChromaDex by Laurus Labs, one of the leaders in API manufacturing.