Nielsen, a leading global provider of information and insights into what consumers watch and buy, is proud to announce the 14 Breakthrough Innovation Winners for 2013:
- Allegra® Allergy
- Colgate® Optic White™
- Dannon Oikos® Greek Yogurt
- Downy UNSTOPABLES™ In Wash Scent Booster
- Fiber One® 90 Calorie Brownies
- Magnum® Ice Cream
- Milo’s Kitchen® Home-Style Dog Treats
- MiO Liquid Water Enhancer
- Monster Rehab®
- Reese's® Minis
- Skinny Cow™ Candy
- Sparkling ICE
- Special K® Cracker Chips
The winners will be presented with their award at Nielsen’s Consumer 360 event in Phoenix on June 4. “What’s fascinating about this year’s Breakthrough Innovation Award winners is their diversity,” says Rob Wengel, senior vice president of innovation at Nielsen. ”No matter the industry or category, Breakthrough Innovation is possible where there is a vision for innovation, pervasive leadership to drive support, and alignment throughout the organization to make it happen.”
This is the second year that Nielsen has presented the awards. Nielsen conducted an extended analysis of more than 3,400 new consumer product introductions in the U.S. during 2011 to determine which products demonstrated truly breakthrough results. To earn the title of Breakthrough Innovation Winner, a product needed to satisfy three requirements:
- Distinctiveness – Does it deliver a new value proposition to the market?
- Relevance – Did this product generate year-one U.S. sales of $50 million or greater in Nielsen-measured channels (food, drug, convenience, dollar, club, and mass merchandise)?
- Endurance – Will this product achieve at least 90 percent of year one sales in year two? This measure confirms a sustained level of consumer demand while allowing for some revenue consolidation during the transition from trial to repeat.
“Breakthrough Innovation companies achieve uncommon results because of their ability to pursue, shape, develop, and activate insights that deliver what consumers demand,” says Taddy Hall, Senior Vice President, Nielsen. “These winners challenged convention and triumphed by expanding or transforming categories. It is through their unencumbered, demand-driven development that Breakthrough Winners create visible separation from the pack.”
About the Breakthrough Innovation Report
Nielsen analyzed 3,439 new consumer product introductions in the U.S. in 2011 to determine which products demonstrated breakthrough results. That analysis, combined with prior research on more than 14,000 new launches from 2009 to 2013, led to the conclusions and recommendations found in the Breakthrough Innovation Report. The findings and case studies are published in the Breakthrough Innovation Report, which is available upon request.