Non-GMO Foods: U.S. Market Perspective, a new report from Packaged Facts, covers the market for non-GMO food and beverage products sold at retail. This report looks at the positive and negative data about GMOs; the body of opinion on the topic; the regulatory environment for GMOs; the stakeholders in the controversy; market size and projections for non-GMO products; and marketing and new product trends. The report also delves into the current initiatives at the federal and state level to create mandatory GMO labeling of food and beverages that contain ingredients from genetically modified sources.
Market estimates within this report were based on both public and syndicated data sources. Packaged Facts has analyzed available sales and trend data, together with information pertaining to those products that move through unmonitored outlets, to estimate the total non-GMO market size.
Data sources used and/or consulted for market, sales, and consumer estimates include:
- IRI sales tracking through U.S. supermarkets and grocery stores, drugstores, and mass merchandisers (including Target and Kmart, but excluding Walmart) with annual sales of $2 million or more.
- U.S. Census Bureau retail food sales data from the Economic Census surveys, annual retail channel sales, non-employer statistics.
- U.S. Bureau of Economic analysis annual estimates for consumer spending by food type
- The Experian Marketing Services (Experian Information Solutions, Inc.), Winter 2013 NCS Adult Study 12-month
- Major food and beverage retailer annual reports for individual retailer sales.
Non-GMO Foods: U.S. Market Perspective also draws on a proprietary Packaged Facts National Consumer Survey, conducted in June 2013 with a sample size of 2,000 U.S. adults age 18+. The sample composition is representative of the national population by gender, age bracket, geographic region, race/ethnicity, household income bracket, and presence of children in the household.
Information on new product introductions was derived from examination of the retail milieu and from relevant trade, business, and government sources, including company literature and annual reports.