“Mentoring time can be given in small moments. Those little nudges do make a difference. It’s not this giant momentous mentoring occasion. It’s just these nice little nudges along the way.”
—Rachael Shayne, FocusedBrands
Part 1: Mentorship and networking
- Establish a network when fundraising and have multiple mentors.
- Find relationships that are bilateral and beneficial for both parties.
- Honesty and constructive criticism is important in mentor relationships.
- The impact of the "Five-minute Favor."
Part 2: Role-play mentor skits
- Prioritize the issues you’re having for your mentor.
- How to initiate the connection with a potential mentor.
- Being prepared for your mentor helps him or her offer advice that is appropriate to their abilities.
- Be confident without sounding arrogant.
Part 3: How mentoring has evolved
- Mentoring does not have to be a big commitment.
- Hierarchy is out. Treating people as equals is in.
- Time is precious; be prepared.
This session—Don't Go Alone: The Value Mentorship and Finding Your People—was recorded at Natural Products Expo East 2017. Click "download" to access the presentation slides.