"It doesn't matter where you lay your head at night, how old you are, how much money you have in your pocket, if you can participate, you can make the world a better place."
—Kathleen Baumgardner, FoCo Cafe
Part 1: Chef Ann Foundation ... lessons from the renegade lunch lady
- Childhood obesity rates are between 18 percent and 21 percent and 1 in 3 children are on track to developing type 2 diabetes.
- Mara Fleishman, CEO of Chef Ann Foundation, is bringing healthy, cooked-from-scratch meals to schools around the country by using community food trucks.
Part 2: FoCo Cafe, connecting community through food
- Kathleen Baumgardner, executive director and co-founder of FoCo Cafe, has disrupted the traditional soup kitchen model by creating a volunteer run cafe that serves all members of the community delicious organic food.
Part 3: Mesh exchange, the match-making of food
- Wasted food creates 20 percent of greenhouse gasses, meanwhile, 1 in 8 people lacks access to a reliable nutritious food source.
- Jessica Pautsch, CEO and co-founder of Mesh Exchange, is connecting the supply chain and retailers with outlets to redistribute food that would otherwise go to waste.
Part 4: Questions and answers
- How can the natural products industry get involved in solving some of these major problems?
- How do these organizations utilize local farmers and producers?
- Measuring social, economic and environmental impact.
This session—3 Disruptive Models that Deliver Food to Everyone, Everywhere—was recorded at Natural Products Expo West 2017. Click download below to access the presentation slides.