This chart presents business statistics data from the 2007 Nutrition Business Journal/Natural Foods Merchandiser survey of natural products retailers. Charts contain data for the years 1999 through 2008.
This summary of business statistics at the Natural Products Retail level details:
- Average number of natural products stores under the same ownership
- Average retail square feet
- Average linear feet for natural products
- Average number of SKUs
- Average number of years the (primary) store has been open
- Average wholesale inventory value
- Average number of customers per day
- Average sales per customer
- Average number of employees authorized to buy product (from vendors)
- Average number of distributors the store works with
- Average annual sales per square foot
Survey findings are presented for 3 store types: Natural Food Stores, Health Food Stores and VMS Stores.
*Natural Food Stores are defined as stores with 40% or less of their total sales from supplements. Data is presented for 3 sizes of natural food stores.
*Health Food Stores are defined as stores with 40% to 80% or more of their total sales from supplements. Data is presented for 3 sizes of health food stores.
*VMS Stores are defined as collecting 80% or more of their total sales from supplement sales. Data is presented for 2 sizes of VMS stores.
The figures presented in this chart are the result of surveys and may vary annually in ways that may not be indicative of broader retail or industry trends.