The Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN), the leading trade association for the dietary supplement and functional food industry, is pleased to announce that Harvey Kamil, vice chairman of NBTY Inc., has been elected chair of the association’s Board of Directors. Mr. Kamil will hold the chairman post through 2016, succeeding John Blair, senior vice president of The Juice Plus+ Co. Mr. Blair will continue to serve on the Board as immediate past chair.
Mr. Kamil brings more than 30 years of experience as a dietary supplement industry executive to his position as CRN chairman, having joined NBTY in 1982 as executive vice president and chief financial officer. In 2002, he assumed the role of president of NBTY and, in 2011, he was named vice chairman of the company. In 2013, Mr. Kamil received Nutrition Business Journal’s Lifetime Achievement award for his significant contributions to the dietary supplement industry. His financial acumen and industry knowledge have made him a valuable contributor to CRN where he has actively served on the CRN Board for more than 25 years, most recently as chair-elect.
According to Mr. Kamil, “Our industry is constantly faced with new and unique challenges, but through CRN and its member companies, we are more than equipped to tackle them. The recent efforts by CRN in helping pass the Designer Anabolic Steroid Control Act (DASCA) of 2014 showed the strength of our industry when we mobilize and our ability to get legislation passed even in today’s political environment. Moving forward, we’ll continue to educate the 114th Congress on the benefits of dietary supplements and the regulations that responsible companies follow; we’ll strongly urge FDA and FTC to enforce the current law but not overstep boundaries; and we’ll continue to be the leading advocates on behalf of our member companies to promote the continued long-term, sustainable growth of our industry. I look forward to the next two years as CRN Chairman and working with my colleagues on CRN’s Board to continue to advance CRN’s mission.”
CRN’s Board also approved new Board officers to serve alongside Mr. Kamil during his two-year term: Chair-Elect—Tyler Whitehead, Nu Skin Enterprises Inc.; Treasurer—Marjorie Fine, Shaklee Corp.; Secretary—Jim Hyde, Albion Laboratories Inc.; and Immediate Past Chair—John Blair, The Juice Plus+ Co. Steve Mister, CRN President and CEO, will continue to serve as a Board Officer.
CRN’s membership elected two new Board Directors: Jeremy Moore, Stratum Nutrition; and Kevin Salerno, HORN Nutraceuticals. In addition, Michael DeGennaro, Lonza Inc., and Jim Hyde, Albion Laboratories Inc., were reelected for a second three-year term, and Jim Hamilton, Neptune Technologies & Bioressources Inc., was appointed by the Board Chairman to serve a one-year term.
CRN’s new Board of Directors is comprised of 39 member company representatives and CRN President and CEO Steve Mister. The following is a full list of CRN’s Board of Directors, including the Executive Committee (in bold) and the Officers (as noted), for 2015:
- Lisa Allgood, Procter & Gamble
- Marian Barker, Arizona Nutritional Supplements Inc.
- Michael Bentley, SierraSil Health Inc.
- John Blair, The Juice Plus+ Co. LLC (Immediate Past Chair)
- Paul Bolar, Pharmavite LLC
- Michael Bradley, Perrigo Co.
- David Campbell, Reckitt Benckiser Group PLC
- Tobe Cohen, DSM Nutritional Products
- Mike DeGennaro, Lonza Inc.
- Paul Dijkstra, InterHealth Nutraceuticals Inc.
- John Doherty, Jamieson Laboratories Ltd.
- Ludger Eilers, BASF Corp.
- Paul Faganel, Embria Health Sciences
- Marjorie Fine, Shaklee Corporation (Treasurer)
- Bill Frankos, Herbalife Ltd.
- Connie Hallquist, Healthy Directions LLC
- Jim Hamilton, Neptune Technologies & Bioressources Inc.
- Carl Hastings, Reliv International Inc.
- Jim Hyde, Albion Laboratories Inc. (Secretary)
- Harvey Kamil, NBTY Inc. (Chair)
- Paul Konney, Metagenics Inc.
- Mark LeDoux, Natural Alternatives International
- Allison Levy, AdvoCare International LP
- Steve Mister (President and CEO)
- Jeremy Moore, Stratum Nutrition
- David Morrison, The Vitamin Shoppe
- Al Powers, NOW Foods
- Barry Ritz, Atrium Innovations Inc.
- Fred Smetana, Church and Dwight Co. Inc.
- Kevin Salerno, HORN Nutraceuticals
- Mike Satow, Nutrition 21
- Bret Scholtes, Omega Protein/Nutegrity
- Girard Smith, Bayer HealthCare
- Jennifer Spalding, Abbott Nutrition
- Michelle Stout, Amway/Nutrilite
- Steve Strickland, Sensient Pharmaceutical Coating Systems
- Ken Strick, Glanbia Performance Nutrition Inc.
- Suneet Varma, Pfizer Consumer Healthcare
- Jim Watson, Watson Inc.
- Tyler Whitehead, Nu Skin Enterprises Inc. (Chair Elect)
Additionally, the following committee chairs will serve CRN during the coming year:
- Communications and Media Outreach Committee—Caron Blitz, BASF
- Government Relations Committee—Kate Houston, Cargill; Kristen Blanchard, Nutramax Laboratories Consumer Care Inc. (vice chair)
- International Trade and Market Development Committee—Michelle Stout, Amway/Nutrilite
- Regulatory Affairs Committee—Ona Scandurra, Country Life (co-chair), and Cade Buck, Albion Laboratories Inc. (co-chair)
- Senior Scientific Advisory Council—Barry Ritz, Atrium Innovations