Does Good Product Packaging Design Lead To Success?
Packaging is the third largest industry in America valued at $110 billion per annum. It is estimated that there are 350 billion packages which comprise of the tiniest item in pharmaceuticals to supersacks used that are used to carry thousands of pounds of content and can withstand rigorous transport.
Product Packaging Design
Consider what product packaging design does for your product:
- Most importantly, product packaging design identifies your brand.
- Packaging communicates with the consumer and presents an image, displays the product and also provides instructions for its use.
- Packaging distinguishes your product from your competitor’s in its design, color, and shape.
- Packaging is your product’s promotional advertisement. It is the last thing the consumer sees about your product before making a decision to purchase it.
To see how important product packaging design is, take the case of DermaQuest which produces a line of skincare products. Although their products are of high quality, their initial product packaging design was not impressive and did not say much about their product. After working with a team of professional designers and branding houses the packaging design of their skincare products were given a totally new makeover. Allyson Rogers, director of education at DermaQuest said, "It's made a huge difference. It's helped us get into new doors that we weren't in before. This is something that appeals to doctors. It's clean, scientific and elegant-looking." The new look resulted in doubling their sales.
Generally packaging works out to 10% of the retail cost of a product. However this margin would go up or down considering the product you are selling. Cosmetic and electronic manufacturers may spend up to 40% or more of the product cost on packaging, as would gift items. An attractive product packaging design makes all the difference at the point of sale. The extra care and cost required to produce an attractive package are more than covered through increase in sales.
Sanjay Sood, associate professor of marketing at UCLA's Anderson School of Management said, "Packaging may provide consumers with some sort of interest or incentive that can help get customers to try it, but for repeat buys, that's where the product will live or die on its own."
There is a psychology to a consumer’s selection of a product and it depends on product design and packaging.
Points to Consider in Product Label Design:• Your product label design should be functional.
- It should protect your product against any kind of damage or deterioration.
- It should also be able to withstand transport and shipping.
- It should be environmentally friendly
- It should be easy to open and the product easy to use.
- It should be tamper proof.
• The label should have consumer appeal, a distinctiveness that makes your product stand out against a hundred other products on the shelf.
• Labeling and any additional information should be designed keeping in mind the profile of your target consumer. Understand your market and target them specifically. Packaging for a generic audience can confuse the consumer.
• An effective product label design should help build your brand image. It’s about communicating your product and building a relationship with your consumers through your brand image.
• Packaging should stand out against your competitor’s products.
Product Label Design: Health Supplements• Labeling on health supplements is important. Labels on the package should contain Supplement Facts about the ingredients and their nutritive value and comply with other FDA guidelines regarding dietary supplements.
• Additional information on the package on how the product works could provide the consumer incentive information that will help the consumer to make an educated decision over your competitor’s products.
• Promotional leaflets inside the packaging can help consumers to be more aware of the product and how it beneficially impacts the consumer’s health. This can build credibility and trust. These leaflets can also be used to introduce other products in your line of production.
• Adding one or more health claims on health products could boost your sales by 20%. This was the conclusion of an online study conducted by National Starch. Consumer perception was tested for leading brands of bread, nutrition bars and cereals. It was found that consumers began placing a higher value on these products when the packaging was altered to include additional health claims such as: “increases dietary fiber inake”, "promotes a healthy digestive system", "helps to control blood sugar highs," "provides a balance of energy" and "delivers prebiotic properties."
Packaging trends are changing constantly. There are new innovations all the time. Keeping abreast of product packaging design and product label design trends will give your products a competitive edge.
About Nutricap Labs:
Nutricap Labs is a full service vitamin supplement manufacturing service. We primarily manufacture nutritional tablets, capsules, powders, liquids and creams, but we also offer label and packaging design services and order fulfillment services to our customers.