The ingredients industry must always be one step ahead and adopt different business models for ingredient innovations. We want to honor the ingredients industry by inviting you, the industry professionals, to participate in voting in the Inaugural Ingredients Insights Awards.
The Canadean Ingredients research teams constantly strive to gain more knowledge on the complex world of food ingredients. Their research aims to understand what factors and objective criteria matter in ingredient business investments, as well as the market usability and formulation capability for product manufacturers. They call this the innovation dimension.
The criteria for the innovation dimension are many-fold and reflect all scenarios in choosing ingredients.
As a valuable part of our industry network, please cast your vote for the four categories before Oct. 7, 2013. The winners will be announced in the next issue of the Ingredients Insight magazine.
Supply Chain Control Award
These ingredients manufacturers control anything from farm to fork in a sustainable context.
- Dry Creek Nutrition Inc.: Grape Seed Extracts– Established in Modesto, California to expand research and development in uses for grape-derived products
- Ajinomoto Co. Inc.: Sweet Pepper Extracts - A science-oriented manufacturer and marketer of processed food, seasonings, fine chemicals, pharmaceuticals and animal nutrition
- Berrypharma AG: Elderberry Extracts - Berrypharma has their Elderberry supply organised via over 1000 growers in the Steiermark region of eastern Austria.
- AVEBE Group: Potato Starch - AVEBE has an integrated production and sales organisation with several thousands of farmers attached to it.
- AarhusKarlshamn AB: Shea Ingredients - AAK monitors selected shea trees to assess the size of the next harvest, handle a number of processes for an unbroken supply chain.
Read more about the Supply Chain Control nominees and cast your vote at:surveymonkey.com/s/GPR8QR2
Clean Label Award
These suppliers have succeeded in creating a refined standardised natural ingredient as a substitute for chemistry in formulation of labels.
- Naturex SA: Natural Emulsifiers - Apple Pectin - Apple derived polysaccharide fibres that are used for many formulations desiring a clean label
- Roquette Frères SA: Pea Protein Isolate - NUTRALYS® PEA BF - A clean label alternative which fits with high protein content application and technology requirement in baking applications
- LycoRed Ltd.: Tomato Lycopene Complex - Lyc-O-Mato® - A versatile and clean label red food colourant, created by tomato lycopene
- Dynadis SARL: Rosemary extracts - Saferange® Rosemary extract - Rosemary extracts is a clean label alternative to antioxidants for many meat and savoury applications.
- SunOpta Inc.: Organic Sweeteners - SunOpta™ Organic Maltodextrin - Maltodextrin sweeteners that is produced from corn and rice and used for clean labels
Read more about the Clean Label Award nominees and cast your vote at: surveymonkey.com/s/GPMWSZ9.
Consumer Awareness Award
Based on on-line hit rates, commercials within media and social media, co-branding with FMCG companies and industry media appearances, this award will go to the brand that has been noticed by global consumers.
- Whole Earth Sweetener Company LLC: Pure Via® - A stevia-based low calorie sugar substitute developed jointly by PepsiCo and Whole Earth Sweetener Company, which is a subsidiary of Merisant
- Cargill Inc.: Truvia® - A natural sweetener from Cargill based on an isolated Rebaudiside A which is branded as Truvia® and contains zero calories. Coca-Cola Co is a licensee on the Truvia® ingredient.
- Davisco Foods International Inc.: BiPRO®- Probably the most recognised whey protein isolate (WPI) amongst the generation of dairy ingredient
- AlgaeCal Inc.: AlgaeCal®- AlgaeCal® is a plant source of calcium and mineral complex derived from a South American marine alga called Algas Calcareas.
- Dupont Danisco A/S: HOWARU® - A range of health beneficial bacteria, called probiotics, which is found in various products. Thanks to the positive results of clinical studies this brand has received significant media attention.
Read more about the Consumer Awareness Award nominees and cast your vote at: surveymonkey.com/s/GPN8DDV.
Opening innovation and business opportunities within the industry with a patent or invention that contributed significantly to a new successful ingredient type or even category.
- Jacques Mazoyer of Cargill Inc. - Director of Seaweed & Seed PPD, in charge of developing the manufacturing process of polysaccharides extracted from seaweed
- Professor John Tagg of Blis Technologies Ltd. – Has gathered and extensively catalogued a collection of more than 2000 BLIS producing bacteria over a period of more than 30 years
- Toyoshige Morita of Morita Kagaku Kogyo Co. Ltd., Japan - An expert of Stevia, with vast experience and significant achievements in cultivation, production and sales.
- Sean Farmer of Ganeden Biotech Inc. - Farmer is credited with discovering the GanedenBC30® probiotic and has written each subsequent patent since helping co-found the company in 1997.
- Dr Gregory Cole of Verdure Sciences Inc. - Dr. Cole is a leading Alzheimer’s researcher at UCLA and a leading authority on Curcumin and its neuro-protective properties.
Read more about the Inventors Award nominees and cast your vote at: surveymonkey.com/s/GPYB5M5.