DianaPlantSciences has formed a Scientific Advisory Board to support the advancement of ingredients produced from plant cell culture technology. The board will guide research and development efforts and lead study design for scientific substantiation of its novel and sustainable ingredients. Plant cell culture technology is the growth and cultivation of plants, plant tissues, and/or plant cells in a controlled, sustainable environment. DianaPlantSciences developed its first ingredient—Cocovanol™ Cocoa Actives—based on the technology.
"This board of noted scientists demonstrates our commitment to the highest standards of scientific research and validation for our products," said Marc Philouze, president of DianaPlantSciences. "We now have the potential to maximize plant cell culture technology to produce plant whole-cell active, proprietary ingredients."
Members of the DianaPlantSciences Scientific & Medical Advisory Board will include:
- Bernie Landes: Mr. Landes, who has been involved in the nutrition industry since 1977, will serve as chair of the board. Bernie has unparalleled expertise having served as President, CEO and senior management positions with a number of leading nutrition companies and has organized and chaired several blue-ribbon scientific advisory boards for both early stage and large multi-national companies.
- Risa Schulman, PhD: Dr. Schulman is a functional food and dietary supplement expert, having served on the leadership teams of several pioneering industry icons in an R&D, regulatory and strategic capacity over 15 years. Currently the president of Tap~Root consulting firm, Dr. Schulman assists ingredient suppliers, manufacturers, start-ups, biotechs, pharma, law firms and investment bankers, and is a sought-after speaker and writer.
- Okezie I Aruoma, MBA, PhD, DSc: Dr. Aruoma is Professor of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs for the American University of Health Sciences, Signal Hill, CA. Dr Aruoma’s research is focused on promoting public health nutrition, management of diseases of overt inflammation and the associated cognitive deficits. Dr. Aruoma is a fellow of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists and a fellow of the UK’s Royal Society of Chemistry (Chem FRSC).
- Raymond Ketchum, PhD: Dr. Ketchum serves as vice president of research and development for DianaPlantSciences. He brings significant experience in the development of ingredients through plant cell culture technology most notably with paclitaxel in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Marc Philouze: Marc serves as president of DianaPlantSciences and is responsible for leading the company in producing novel, sustainable ingredients through plant cell culture technology. Marc has prior experience in new product development and clinical study design with pharmaceutical companies.
Producing innovative ingredients from plant cell culture technology
DianaPlantSciences is focused on the development of novel, proprietary ingredients through plant cell culture technology for nutritional applications in supplements, functional foods and personal care. The process of producing ingredients from plant cell culture technology utilizes non-GMO methods where the whole plant cell remains intact through the entire process and cells are carefully selected to exhibit the best concentration and distribution of targeted actives naturally inherent to the plant. Plant cell culture technology allows you to target specific actives within a plant to produce significantly more of the desired compounds while producing significantly less of the undesirable ones.
"Plant cell technology is one of the most innovative technologies introduced into the nutrition industry," said Bernie Landes, chair of the board. "The technology is sustainable, allows for differentiation and offers a consistent and reproducible way for developing proprietary, exclusive ingredients."