News from the first day of Produce Marketing Association’s (PMA) 2014 Fresh Summit International Convention and Exposition included election of the 2014-2015 boards for PMA and the PMA Foundation for Industry Talent, presentation of this year’s Robert L. Carey Leadership Award to Dick Spezzano, president of California-based Spezzano Consulting, and announcement of the five Impact Award: Excellence in Packaging winners. Additionally, PMA announced the selection of Hunt Shipman and The Cornerstone Group to represent PMA’s members on global industry issues leadership.
Elected to chair PMA’s Board of Directors is Kevin Fiori, vice president of sales and marketing for Sunkist Growers, Valencia, California. Five other officers and 29 directors join him.
Also elected as officers to the 2014-2015 PMA board are:
- Immediate Past Chairman Tim Riley, president, The Giumarra Companies, Los Angeles
- Chairman-Elect Russ Mounce, senior director of produce and floral, Sam’s Wholesale Club, Bentonville, Ark.
- Secretary/Treasurer Drew Yurko, chief financial officer, FreshPoint Inc., Houston
- Vice Chairman John Oxford, president and CEO, L&M, Raleigh, N.C.
- Vice Chairman Alex Leach, president, Taylor Farms, Salinas, Calif.
Together with PMA CEO Bryan Silbermann, PMA President Cathy Burns, and PMA Foundation for Industry Talent Board of Directors Chairman Dick Spezzano, the officers comprise PMA’s Executive Committee.
- The remaining 2014-2015 directors of the association are:
- Miguel Allamand, president, Exportadora Subsole, SA; Santiago, Chile
- John Anderson, chairman, president and CEO, The Oppenheimer Group, British Columbia, Canada
- Vernon Crowder, senior vice president, senior analyst, Rabobank Group, Fresno, Calif.
- Jeff Dunn, president and CEO, Bolthouse Farms, Bakersfield, Calif.
- Jose Antonio Gomez, chief commercial officer, Camposol SA, Lima, Peru
- Elliott Grant, founder and chief marketing officer, HarvestMark, Redwood City, Calif.
- Ana Hooper, vice president total quality, Darden, Orlando, Fla.
- Craig Ignatz, vice president of produce and floral merchandising, Giant Eagle Inc., Pittsburgh
- Derrick Jenkins, vice president of produce and floral division, Wakefern Food Corporation, Elizabeth, N.J.
- Paul Kneeland, vice president of produce, floral, seafood and meat, Kings Food Markets, Parsippany, N.J.
- Ziggy Kwarcinski, general manager core fresh, Woolworths Supermarkets, Bella Vista, Australia
- David Lake, CEO, 4Earth Farms, Commerce, Calif.
- Cathy Leffingwell, director, produce, Brinker International, Dallas
- Joe Loiacano, senior manager of fresh produce and frozen foods, Wendy’s Quality Supply Chain Co-op, Dublin, Ohio
- Irenke Meekma, managing director, Bakker Barendrecht BV, Ridderkerk, Netherlands
- Leonardo Miyao, perishables commercial director, Grupo Pão de Açucar, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Don Murphy, director of produce and floral, Grocery Outlet, Emeryville, Calif.
- Howard Nager, vice president of marketing, Domex Superfresh Growers, Yakima, Wash.
- Steve Patricio, president and CEO, Westside Produce, Firebaugh, Calif.
- Jim Sarcletti, director of produce and floral, SuperValu, Minneapolis
- Oleen Smethurst, assistant general merchandise manager, Costco Wholesale Canada, Ottawa, Canada
- Miguel Usabiaga, vice president, Empacadora GAB Inc., Hidalgo, Texas
- Johan van Deventer, managing director, Freshmark (Pty), Ltd., Cape Town, South Africa
- Robert Verloop, executive vice president of marketing, Naturipe Farms LLC, Salinas, Calif.
- Thomas Wheeler, director of produce operations, Mollie Stone’s Markets, Mill Valley, Calif.
- Jin Ju Wilder, director of corporate strategy, Valley Fruit & Produce, Los Angeles
- Max Yeater, president, Pro*Act LLC, Monterey, Calif.
- ex officio Dick Spezzano, Chairman, PMA Foundation for Industry Talent, president, Spezzano Consulting Service, Monrovia, Calif.
- ex officio John Said, Chairman, PMA Australia-New Zealand, CEO, Fresh Select, Victoria, Australia
Retiring from the board are:
- Mark Allison, senior manager, produce procurement, The Cheesecake Factory Inc., Calabasas Hills, Calif.
- Jan DeLyser, vice president of marketing, California Avocado Commission, Irvine, Calif.
- Ge Happe, sourcing director, Ahold, Zaandam, North Holland
- Dan Johnson, corporate director produce and floral merchandising, The Kroger Co., Cincinnati, Ohio
- Rob Ondrus, director category management/produce, Reinhart Foodservice, Rosemont, Ill.
- David Parsley, senior vice president supply chain management, Brinker International Inc., Dallas
- Victor Smith, CEO, Fresh Innovations LLC, Yuma, Ariz.
- Craig Stephen, chief strategy officer, N2N Global, Longwood, Fla.
- Maureen Torrey-Marshall, vice president, Torrey Farms Inc., Elba, N.Y.
2014-2015 PMA Foundation for Industry Talent board announced Elected to chair PMA Foundation for Industry Talent’s Board of Directors is Dick Spezzano, president of Spezzano Consulting Service, Monrovia, California. Three other officers and 19 directors join him.
Also elected as officers to the 2014-2015 PMA Foundation board are:
- Immediate Past Chair Jim Leimkuhler, president, Progressive Produce, Los Angeles
- Chair Elect Leonard Batti, president, Taylor Farms Florida, Orlando, Fla.
- Secretary/Treasurer Drew Yurko, CFO, FreshPoint, Houston
They join Margi Prueitt, PMA senior vice president and PMA Foundation executive director.
At-large members of the PMA Foundation 2014-2015 board are:
- Aribel Beck, CFO/VP finance and administration, Naturipe Farms LLC, Estero, Fla.
- Chris Cervini, president, Lakeside Produce Co., Leamington, Ontario, Canada
- Marty Craner, president, B&C Fresh Sales, Orange, Calif.
- Matt Curry, president, Curry & Co., Brooks, Ore.
- Tony D’Amico, president, To-Jo Mushrooms, Avondale, Pa.
- Gabriel Fonzo, CEO, Integrity, SA, Santiago, Chile
- Mikel Hancock, senior director of produce and floral, Walmart, Bentonville, Ark.
- Kelly Jacob, vice president of retail, Pro Act, LLC, Houston
- Melany Jolly, executive vice president, TBD
- Tim Knoerzer, vice president, human resources global supply, Monsanto, St. Louis, Mo.
- Jill Overdorf, director of business and culinary development/corporate chef, Coosemans Shipping of LA, Los Angeles
- Doug Ranno, president and CEO, Musical Harvest, Salinas, Calif.
- Dave Rhodes, director of produce, Marsh Supermarkets, Indianapolis
- Jim Richter, CEO, Wilcox Fresh, Overland Park, Kan.
- Kent Shoemaker, CEO, Lipman, Immokalee, Fla.
- Bryan Silbermann, CEO, PMA, Newark, Del.
- Marc Solomon, senior vice president of procurement, Capespan, North America, Gloucester City, N.J.
- Jorge Suarez, director of strategic planning and human resources, Ocean Mist Farms, Castroville, Calif.
- Larry Zink, industry relations & outreach coordinator, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich.