Adding to its leading litigation practice—and its newly opened Northern California office—Venable LLP announced that Angel A. Garganta, who has litigated critical consumer protection and advertising law cases, has joined the firm as a partner in San Francisco.
Mr. Garganta represents many branded clients in a broad range of commercial disputes, including unfair business practice and consumer class actions. Many of his matters seem ripped from tabloid headlines fanning consumers’ fear of everything from trans fats and unsafe supplements to customer warranties, data mining and false advertising. His work has led to recognition as an authority on defending companies against consumer protection and advertising-related lawsuits. He was previously a partner with Arnold & Porter in San Francisco.
At Venable, Mr. Garganta links up with one of the country’s top-ranked firms for advertising and privacy law—the two groups won the Chambers Award for Excellence in successive years. US News named Venable its Advertising “Law Firm of the Year,” while Legal 500 named it a “Top-Tier Firm” for advertising and marketing in 2013. The firm produces a popular blog on advertising law issues: allaboutadvertisinglaw.com.
Venable also boasts one of the nation’s elite food and drug groups, representing many top pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, along with market-leading supplement producers and marketers of branded foods, drugs and cosmetics in consumer class action and advertising claims.
Mr. Garganta’s extensive litigation experience fits well with Venable’s defense work and client counsel. Among the many cases he has successfully handled in recent years include:
- Dismissal with prejudice of all claims in a consumer class action alleging that a prominent yogurt maker violated FDA’s standards of identity
- Defending manufacturer of popular pre-workout supplement in multiple class actions alleging that its product was unsafe and falsely advertised
- Defending a national food manufacturer and national grocery chain in false advertising and consumer class actions regarding the trans fat content of various products
- Obtaining dismissal of all claims against an inventory services company in a consumer class action alleging fraud and conspiracy in connection with an alleged recall of certain pharmaceutical products
- Obtaining summary judgment and dismissal for a national restaurant system in consumer class actions alleging false advertising about the nutritional content of its menu items
- Defending a yogurt manufacturer in consumer class actions alleging false advertising about the health benefits of its probiotic products
- Defending a manufacturer of Bluetooth headsets in federal multidistrict false advertising and unfair business practices class actions alleging failure to warn consumers of hearing loss risk
- Defending a national motor vehicle finance company in a nationwide class action alleging false advertising and unfair business practices regarding its extended service plans
He also has substantial litigation experience representing and defending financial services companies.
“Angel is a superb litigator who has become especially well known for taking on the most challenging consumer class action and false advertising cases across the country,” said Jeffrey Knowles, head of Venable’s Advertising, Marketing and New Media practice. “He has a deep well of knowledge about defending the most aggressive claims. And he has experience guiding consumer companies through the many legal traps they face when promoting and marketing their products nationally.”
Mr. Garganta clerked for the Honorable Marilyn Hall Patel, U.S. District Judge for the Northern District of California. He served as President of the San Francisco Bank Attorneys Association, and sat on the Board of Directors of the Bar Association of San Francisco, on the Executive Committee of its Litigation Section, and on the Editorial Advisory Board of California Forms of Pleading and Practice.
“Venable has built one of the country’s preeminent litigation platforms for false advertising and consumer actions,” Mr. Garganta said. “The firm has been a leader in developing solutions for branded companies in helping them market and advertise their products with confidence—and defend themselves when necessary from assault by plaintiffs. My practice will be very much at home here,” said Mr. Garganta.