Serves 6 / One of the best food sources of antioxidant vitamin D, sardines also contain abundant anti-inflammatory omega-3s. This recipe tempers any “fishy” flavor in a spicy fish cake topped with a vitamin C–rich red pepper coulis (an easy-to-make sauce). Look for coarse-textured panko bread crumbs in the baking section.
1 (8-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained well (reserve 1 tablespoon juices)
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 small shallot, chopped
1/2 pound trout fillets
2 (4-ounce) tins skinless, boneless sardines packed in olive oil, drained and finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1-2 jalapeÃ±os (to taste), seeded and finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups whole-wheat or plain panko bread crumbs, divided
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons sesame or canola oil
1. In a food processor, purÃ©e roasted red peppers, vinegar, and shallot until smooth, adding reserved pepper juice if needed for smooth consistency. Transfer to small saucepan and stir over medium heat until warmed through; season to taste with salt and pepper. (Makes 1 cup.)
2. Preheat oven to 350Ë. Place trout on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until just opaque in center and flakes with a fork, about 6–8 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and cool.
3. With a fork, flake trout fillets into large bowl. Add sardines, scallions, jalapeÃ±os, red bell pepper, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, and cumin and mix well. Mix in flour and 1 cup bread crumbs and toss to coat. Add beaten eggs to fish mixture, stirring well to incorporate.
4. Transfer remaining 1 cup bread crumbs to a bowl. Shape fish mixture into twelve 2-inch balls. Roll fish in bread crumbs; then flatten into patties, pressing on more bread crumbs as needed.
5. In a large skillet, heat oil. Fry patties for 4–5 minutes on each side or until crispy and brown. Keep warm until serving and serve with coulis.
PER SERVING: 350 cal, 15g fat (3g mono, 3g poly, 4g sat), 107mg chol, 26g protein, 30g carb, 6g fiber, 425mg sodium