This chart presents Gross Profit Margin data from the 2007 Nutrition Business Journal/Natural Foods Merchandiser survey of natural products retailers. Charts present data from the years 1999 through 2007.
This summary of gross profit margins at the Natural Products Retail level details gross profit margins for the following categories:
- Frozen/refrigerated foods
- Non-Dairy beverages (soy, oat, rice & milks)
- Bulk/packaged bulk foods
- Packaged grocery foods
- Fresh meat/seafood
- Nutrition bars
- Packaged coffee/tea
- Other beverages (juice, soda, ready-to-drink teas, etc.)
- Foodservice & deli, restaurant, juice bar, etc.
- Snack foods (chips, cookies, etc.)
- Sports supplements (powders, pills, hard core sports drinks like American Body Building)
- Meal replacement supplements
- Specialty/Other supplements (including Glucosamine, Melatonin, CoQ10, hormones, EFAs, bee products, etc.)
Natural Personal Care/Household Products
- Personal care (including aromatherapy)
- Pet products
Survey findings are presented for 3 store types: Natural Food Stores, Health Food Stores and VMS Stores.
*Natural Food Stores are defined as stores with 40% or less of their total sales from supplements. Data is presented for 3 sizes of natural food stores.
*Health Food Stores are defined as stores with 40% to 80% or more of their total sales from supplements. Data is presented for 3 sizes of health food stores.
*VMS Stores are defined as collecting 80% or more of their total sales from supplement sales. Data is presented for 2 sizes of VMS stores.
The figures presented in this chart are the result of surveys and may vary annually in ways that may not be indicative of broader retail or industry trends.