The Value(s) Shopper
Consumers are moving beyond price as their single purchasing filter as a new and complex world of values now influences purchasing decisions. Forward-thinking natural products companies are responding with mission-backed products and business models built around purpose.
- Trend: Regenerative sourcing practices
- Product example: Maple Hill Creamery 100% Grass-Fed Whole Milk Kefir
- Trend: Sustainable packaging
- Trend: Mission-based brands
- Product example: Waiakea Hawaiian Volcanic Water
Harkening back to the days of pre-industrialized foods and a simpler way of life, natural products companies are focusing on whole, nutrient-dense ingredients and a “closer to nature” approach to processing.
- Trend: Superfoods 2.0
- Product example: Organic Gemini TigerNut Green Detox Horchata
- Trend: Fermented foods and beverages
- Trend: Natural fats
- Product example: Once Upon a Farm Organic, Cold-Pressed Meals for Little Ones
Transparency has moved from a marketing buzzword to an essential way of doing business, as consumers increasing take note of ingredients, sourcing practices and manufacturing processes behind the products they purchase.
- Trend: Ingredients upfront
- Product example: The Honest Kitchen Proper Toppers for Dogs
- Trend: Traceable seafood
- Trend: Transparent packaging
- Product: Happy Family Clearly Crafted transparent pouches
The Rehabilitation of Science
The role of food and nutrition science is being reframed to embrace the spirit of natural products while addressing societal concerns in a pivot that moves toward rebuilding consumer confidence and meeting new consumer demands.
- Trend: Clean energy
- Product example: Rainbow Light Bright Energy Supplement
- Trend: Microbiome-positioned products
- Product example: RESTORE Magic Dirt Water for Kids
- Trend: Beauty from within
- Product example: NeoCell Derma Matrix Collagen
A global population of 10 billion will require a serious change in how we go about feeding the world. Natural products companies are rising to the challenge with innovative approaches to sourcing, plant-based nutrition and reducing food waste.
- Trend: Next-gen plant proteins
- Product example: SOTRU Vegan Protein Shakes
- Trend: Repurposed ingredients
- Product example: ESCOGO Smarter Starter Fluid
- Trend: “Nose to tail” sourcing
- Product example: Epic Provisions Beef Jalapeno Sea Salt Bone Broth
The snackification macro force is symptomatic of an always-on culture that is constantly in need of fuel but that also increasingly demands snacks that are convenient, tasty and nutritious.
- Trend: Savory snacking
- Product example: Pok Pok Som Turmeric Soda
- Trend: Vegetables reimagined
- Product example: Wild Zora Meat & Veggie Bars
- Trend: Global-inspired convenience
- Product example: The Perfect Bite Company Kalekopita