Over 20,000 Retailers and Manufacturers to Gather at Natural Products Industry’s Premier Trade Show
The 18th annual Natural Products Expo East will be held at the Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C. on October 3-6, 2002. Over 20,000 retailers and manufacturers are expected to attend to learn about the latest news and products from the natural products industry, which includes organic foods, dietary supplements, alternative medicine and even natural pet food. In 2001, sales of natural products topped $34 billion – an all-time industry high.
As the natural products industry’s premier trade show, Natural Products Expo East features more than 1,700 exhibit booths showcasing the latest products in categories including organic foods, vegetarian foods and specialty foods; supplements, including vitamins, minerals, herbs and specialty supplements; personal care products; natural living products; international products; pet products; and raw materials. An on-site educational conference for retailers and manufacturers offers more than 45 workshops and seminars.
“Exhibit sales have been incredibly strong this year, with particular growth in the personal care and natural living categories,” says Brian Henderson, senior vice president of trade shows for New Hope Natural Media. “With 69% of consumers now purchasing natural products, the number of mainstream buyers and retailers attending the show is increasing significantly as well. It’s exciting to see the momentum building in this industry, especially given the current economic climate.” [email protected] and Organic [email protected], designed for buyers and sellers of raw materials, ingredients, store supplies, and services, will kick off Expo East on Thursday morning. Also on Thursday, herb expert Brigitte Mars leads a tour of the U.S. National Arboretum and explains the varied medicinal uses of herbs (reservations required). In recognition of the National Organics Program, “The Spirit of Organic Awards Dinner” will be held on Thursday night at the United States Botanic Garden. Co-hosted by New Hope Natural Media and Organic Farming Research Foundation, this special evening will celebrate the significant achievement of legendary organic farmers dedicated to the development, growth and preservation of integrity in the organic industry (reservations required).
On Friday, Keynote Speaker Jeremy Rifkin, founder and president of The Foundation on Economic Trends, will speak on “Natural Products in the Biotech Century.” He will address the benefits and perils of “the ultimate technology frontier” and how it’s affecting the future of our civilization.
On Saturday, organic produce and education consultant Mark Mulcahy will lead a tour of a local organic farm explaining how the new national Organic Program will affect the future of farming and retailing and how organic certification works (reservations required). Expo East’s exhibit floor is conveniently organized into nine different areas making it easy for attendees to find the products they want in one place:
- Natural Living (featuring organic clothing, textiles, fibers, yarns and fabrics, and environmentally safe products);
- Organics (organic products, from fresh produce and dairy products to breads, cereals, meat and organic cotton products are featured and all exhibitors must provide organic certification);
- Personal Care (the entire range of natural, cruelty-free personal care products, including cosmetics, body and hair care products, massage oils, aromatherapy, and even dental care products);
- Pet Products (from supplements and medicinals to toys and food, the products and companies in the growing natural pet product industry);
- Raw Materials (designed for suppliers of raw materials and bulk ingredients to be used in vitamins, supplements, medicinals, personal care products, herbs/medicinals);
- Specialty Foods (featuring food companies with natural gourmet or specialty food items);
- Supplements (featuring vitamins, minerals, herbal products, green foods and sports nutrition products)
- Vegetarian Foods (featuring A full range of vegetarian foods, including soy products and the growing meatless entrée market), and the
- International (featuring a variety of natural products from outside the U.S.)
The following are a few examples of more than 45 seminars and workshops offered on a wide range of subjects:
- “What Retailers Want: Marketing Tips, Ideas, Guaranteed Results” - presented by Martin Baird, Founder of Nutritional Marketing
- ” Coffee, Chocolate . . . and Why They’re Good for You” – a “guilt-free” discussion led by Chris Kilman, Founder of Medicine Hunter, Inc.;
- “The Connection Between The Immune System And The Mind” presented by health journalist Lorna R. Vanderhaeghe, examining what researchers have learned about how the immune system plays a role in initiating disease.
- “Strategies to Position Your Store: Sports Nutrition” an analysis of this hot sector and how to capitalize on it, presented by Patrick Rea, Research Director, Nutrition Business Journal and Anthony Almada, mSc,Founder/CSO
- “A Taste of Expo” attendees will be able to sample a different product daily and cast their vote for the best - from assorted brands of Soymilks on Friday, to Chips on Saturday and Energy Bars on Sunday.
For a complete listing of seminars and workshops, visit New Hope’s Web site at www.newhope.com and select the Natural Products Expo East icon.
Manufacturers and retailers who are interested in participating in Natural Products Expo East 2003 should contact the Expo Registration Department at 866.458.4935 (toll-free) or 303 390-1776 (local) or via e-mail to [email protected]
The show is open only to members of the trade and to the media. Attendees can download an Expo registration form by visiting the web site at www.newhope.com. Journalists wishing to cover the show should contact Jen Monan at Freeman Public Relations, 212 489-8585 or via e-mail to [email protected]
ABOUT NEW HOPE NATURAL MEDIA
New Hope Natural Media is a division of Penton Media, Inc. (NYSE: PME), a leading diversified business media company that produces market-focused magazines, Web sites, trade shows, and conferences. Penton serves the Internet/IT; natural products/food/retail; manufacturing; electronics; design/engineering; management; supply chain/aviation; government/compliance; mechanical systems/construction; and leisure/hospitality markets. For more information, visit http://www.penton.com/