Responding to the changing needs of food and beverage manufacturers and the consumers they serve, Cargill will showcase an array of new product development and ingredient capabilities centered on heart health, energy and sweetness at the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Food Expo June 7-10, 2009, in Anaheim.
Visitors to the Cargill booth (#1529) will learn about and sample eight food and beverage prototypes and discuss strategies for overcoming technical and flavoring challenges associated with formulating new products that deliver distinct consumer benefits. Cargill will also be showcasing its capabilities of rebiana-compatible flavor solutions based on recently patented ground-breaking technology. The new flavor solutions are ideally suited for cereal, yogurt, ice cream, confectionary and various beverage applications including carbonated soft drinks, juice drinks and flavored water that benefit from a natural, reduced calorie product positioning.
“At IFT, Cargill will demonstrate how we help our customers achieve their business goals by partnering with them to satisfy unmet consumer needs,” said HT Fish, vice president, Food Ingredients and Systems Go To Market Leader, North America, Cargill. “We use our deep understanding of customer needs and our unmatched access to knowledge for creating tailored solutions to help our customers develop new products that win in the marketplace.”
· Cherry Walnut Clusters with CoroWise™ plant sterol esters. Cargill’s Cherry Walnut Clusters combines ripe cherry and sweet, creamy vanilla flavors offering a satisfying treat with heart-health benefits. Plant sterols, such as CoroWiseä plant sterol esters, have been clinically shown to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and are backed by an FDA health claim.*
· Ginger Green Tea with Barliv™ barley betafiber and Zerose™ Erythritol. Functional beverages are popular with consumers who seek benefits that help them address health concerns without sacrificing great taste. This beverage has a unique combination of green tea and ginger flavors and addresses two predominant issues: heart health and calorie intake. Barlív™ barley betafiber is a natural soluble fiber that can be easily incorporated into beverages, and qualifies for an FDA health claim.** It has high purity (>70% beta glucan) and optimized viscosity so it doesn’t add unwanted mouthfeel and texture. Zerose™ erythritol is a natural, zero-calorie bulk sweetener.
· Tropical Juice with CoroWise™ plant sterol. This naturally flavored 100 percent juice delivers the characteristic tastes of pineapple and banana . This juice contains CoroWiseä plant sterol, clinically shown to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and backed by an FDA health claim.*
· Pomegranate Berry Acai Juice Drink with Xtend® sucromalt. Cargill created Xtend® sucromalt to help food and beverage manufacturers offer a natural alternative for products that meet the consumer sweetness demands . The berry pomegranate juice provides a health “halo” effect due to the anti-oxidant properties of superfruit. There is a 35 percent reduction in sugar compared to a regular sweetened juice drink. (One serving (8fl oz) of this juice drink provides 16g sugar as compared to 25g for a regular sweetened juice drink.)
· Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Bars. Cargill gives a fiber-rich makeover to an old-fashioned treat with Oliggo-Fiber® inulin, known as the “invisible fiber,” which can be incorporated into almost any food or beverage without affecting taste or texture. Natural cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla flavors create a taste reminiscent of old-fashioned baked goodness. The sweetness solution, is Xtend® sucromalt and helps meet the needs of consumers who desire a balanced energy source.
· Light Blueberry Yogurt. Consumers expect great taste even when yogurt is reduced in calories. Truvia™ rebiana, derived from the best tasting part of the stevia leaf, is a natural, zero-calorie sweetener. The yogurt provides a health “halo” effect from the nutrient-rich association of blueberries, and is specifically made to balance the desired overall taste profile in this yogurt. (One serving (170g) of this yogurt contains 14g of sugar as compared to 30g for a typical sugar lowfat yogurt.)
· Celebration Cookie. Celebrate great tasting, natural sweetness with the benefit of fiber. Truvia™ natural sweetener is a great tasting natural, zero calorie sweetener available in the U.S. to meet the growing consumer demand for non-caloric, natural sweeteners. The natural creamy vanilla flavor was custom-made to deliver sweet bakery notes and to balance the cookie’s taste profile. Oliggo-Fiber® inulin offers consumers the benefit of fiber without affecting the cookie’s pleasing sensory attributes. The cookie has 25 percent less sugar compared to a regular sugar sweetened cookie (8g sugar compared to 11g sugar per 30g serving).
· Naturally Sweetened Tropical Juice. Consumers expect great taste even when a beverage is low in calories. This 30 percent juice drink delivers the desired taste profile with rebiana compatible flavors. Using Truvia™ natural sweetener is a great way to meet the growing consumer demand for non-caloric, natural sweeteners, while Zerose™ erythritol is a natural, zero-calorie bulk sweetener.
*FDA health claim for plant sterols: As part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, the daily consumption of at least 0.4g of plant sterols (or 0.65g plant sterol esters), twice daily with meals for a total daily intake of at least 0.8g (or 1.3g plant sterol esters), may reduce the risk of heart disease by helping to lower blood cholesterol levels.
** FDA health claim for beta-glucan soluble fiber: Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol that include 3g of beta-glucan soluble fiber from barley betafiber per day may reduce the risk of heart disease by helping to lower blood cholesterol levels.
Cargill is an international producer and marketer of food, agricultural, financial and industrial products and services. Founded in 1865, the privately held company employs 160,000 people in 67 countries. Cargill helps customers succeed through collaboration and innovation, and is committed to applying its global knowledge and experience to help meet economic, environmental and social challenges wherever it does business. For more information, visit www.cargill.com.