October 1, 2003, LaGrange, IL – Cognis Nutrition & Health, a global leader in concept-driven customer solutions and natural ingredients for the dietary supplement and food industries, announced that it is launching a new initiative in partnership with its customers to create condition-specific formulations. Cognis is also enhancing its customer-driven programs with an expanded product line and plans to further grow the business through acquisitions and partnerships to provide continued added value to its customers.
Four main health sectors comprise the focus of Cognis’ new approach to condition-specific formulations: heart health, body composition, cognitive function and eye health. These areas were designated based on customer feedback, market research and science.
“We studied every step along the value chain looking for ways to better serve our customers,” explained Kathleen Moran, Global Market Segment Manager, Dietary Supplements, Cognis Nutrition & Health. “We identified three main areas customers are asking suppliers to support: customized formulations, science and technology, and marketing. Cognis has perhaps the industry’s largest portfolio of natural health-enhancing ingredients. So, as our aging population drives the demand for condition-specific health products, Cognis is well-positioned to meet these needs,” Ms. Moran said.
One of Cognis' new condition-specific products includes a carotenoid blend targeted at maintaining eye health and prostate health in addition to providing a safe source of vitamin A. Another focus for Cognis' carotenoid product is bridging the food gap created by diets low in important antioxidants. This new blend will provide manufacturers and marketers with the industry's only "natural package" of key carotenoids for their formulations.
To anticipate long-term demand for health-enhancing products, Cognis is expanding its
portfolio with safe, science-backed products of natural origin. “We believe the ‘natural platform’ for Cognis’ product development, backed by our extensive scientific and marketing support, distinguishes our business,” said Paul Allen, Group Vice President, Cognis Nutrition & Health. “The industry has grown dramatically since Cognis began producing our first vitamin E products in 1967. Now, decades later, Cognis must continue to develop products and concepts that generate sustainable added value for our customers in key market segments worldwide,” Mr. Allen added.
This strategic approach is working as evidenced by recent additions to the Cognis Nutrition & Health product portfolio. The latest product to join the Cognis family is TONALIN® CLA, a natural source of conjugated linoleic acid and the No. 1 selling brand of CLA worldwide.
Cognis’ exclusive license for TONALIN® CLA provides brand rights for key markets in dietary supplements and food based on the primary health claim that it helps reduce body fat while maintaining or increasing lean body mass. Mr. Allen pointed out that Cognis will continue to strengthen TONALIN® CLA’s brand equity in established markets, develop opportunities in new ones, and promote and support credible research on CLA’s several promising health applications.
TONALIN® CLA contributes to making Cognis’ product portfolio one of the most comprehensive in the industry, with a broad range of ingredients that promote health in dietary supplement and functional food markets, excipients for pharmaceutical production, and tailor-made technologies which aid in food formulations.
Following are some key features of products in Cognis Nutrition & Health’s expanding product line. To learn more, please visit www.Cognis.com.
• TONALIN® CLA is the brand used in most clinical research confirming CLA’s benefits for human health. The longest study to date on CLA demonstrates that TONALIN® is safe and effective in reducing body fat and increasing lean body mass. (For more research news on TONALIN® CLA, please refer to the press release in the media kit.)
• VEGAPURE® Vegetable Sterol Esters are used in food and dietary supplements to lower the risk of cardiovascular disease.* Compelling evidence supports the cholesterol-lowering benefits of sterol esters. Cognis is the global leader in sterol processing with the world’s largest stand-alone manufacturing facility for phytosterols in France in addition to its U.S. production facility in Illinois.
• XANGOLD® Natural Lutein Esters have been shown to benefit eye health. XANGOLD® is the only source of lutein to complete the Food and Drug Administration’s GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) Notification Process paving the way for its use in a broad range of foods. Manufacturers get a double bonus with XANGOLD® – not only an ingredient that is GRAS, but one that has appealing manufacturing benefits from the product’s excellent stability and long-lasting potency.
• BETATENE® Natural Mixed Carotenoids are produced using a chemical-free process from algae farmed in clean, salt-water lakes in Australia. Consumers are increasingly interested in this natural form of beta-carotene as a safe source of vitamin A, particularly in multivitamins, and as a supplement to bridge the gap in a diet lacking sufficient servings of fruits and vegetables.
• COVITOL® Natural-Source Vitamin E and Covi-ox® Natural Mixed Tocopherols are the hallmarks of Cognis’ product portfolio and comprise the most complete line of natural-source vitamin E products available. Research shows that vitamin E helps maintain a healthy heart and brain function, supports eye health and contributes to good health as we age. Covitol® 1185 HMPC, the highest quality natural-source succinate powder, has a special coating to give superior flow performance and ease of application. Covi-ox® T-90, one of the highest concentrated mixed tocopherol products on the market, features forms of vitamin E delivered in their naturally occurring ratios.
• DELIOS® Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT’s) vegetable-based oils are a concentrated energy source for infant formula, sports nutrition and other functional food applications.
• Botanical Specialties hold enormous potential for the natural products industry. Currently there is considerable optimism in natural alternatives to Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) following recent studies finding increased health risks for women taking HRT. Many women are turning to botanicals such as black cohosh, chaste tree, and red clover to help manage their menopausal symptoms.
*Meets the requirements of the FDA approved health claim for sterol esters and the reduced risk of heart disease (21CFR101.83).
Cognis (www.cognis.com) is a worldwide supplier of innovative specialty chemicals and nutritional ingredients with almost 9,000 employees in close to 50 countries. The company has dedicated its activities to a high level of sustainability and delivers natural-source raw materials and ingredients for food, nutrition and healthcare markets, and the cosmetics, detergents and cleaners industries. Additionally, Cognis provides solutions for a number of other industries, such as coatings and inks, lubricants, textiles and plastics, as well as agriculture and mining.
Cognis is owned by private equity funds advised by Permira, GS Capital Partners, and Schroder Ventures Life Sciences. In 2002, Cognis recorded sales of 3.1 billion euros and an operating profit before depreciation, amortization and exceptional items (EBITDA recurring) of 393 million euros. A turnover of 748.6 million euros was achieved in the first three months of 2003.
Cognis Nutrition & Health, a business unit of Cognis Group, provides antioxidant (including natural vegetable sterol esters), botanical and nature-based ingredients for dietary supplements; pharmaceuticals and healthcare; functional foods and medical nutrition; and animal nutrition. As a leader in food technology, Cognis manufactures emulsifiers, emulsifier-based compounds, and numerous other specialty products for the food industry worldwide.