La Grange, IL (June 1, 2005) – Cognis Nutrition & Health, a global leader in concept-driven solutions and health-enhancing ingredients for the food industry, invites IFT attendees to visit booth #1237 to sample new products and learn how Cognis is adding nutritional value and functionality to foods and drinks sold worldwide. The IFT (Institute of Food Technologists) Annual Meeting and Food Expo will be held July 16-20 in New Orleans, LA.
Cognis will showcase the following nutritional solutions to demonstrate how foods and beverages can offer consumers health benefits – the natural way. Cognis will also offer samples with its whipping agents and emulsifiers to show food manufacturers how they can improve their processed food products.
Cognis’ Health-Enhancing Ingredients:
• VEGAPURE® Natural Plant Sterol Esters are an exclusive product of Cognis, one of the world’s leading producers of sterol esters. Cognis’ VEGAPURE® plant sterol esters can help lower cholesterol and may protect against cardiovascular disease. Studies show that a cholesterol reduction of 10 percent can be reasonably achieved through daily use of sterol esters. VEGAPURE® meets the requirements of the FDA-approved health claim for sterol esters and reduced risk of coronary disease: 21CFR101.83. VEGAPURE® plant sterol esters are GRAS for vegetable oil spreads, salad dressings, bars, mayonnaise, and white bread products.
• TONALIN® CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) is an exclusive product of the Cognis Group. TONALIN®, the #1 consumer brand of CLA, helps consumers reduce body fat, maintain lean body mass, prevent fat regain and contribute to overall health. TONALIN® CLA is self-affirmed GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) for use in yogurt, meal replacement bars and drinks, fruit juices, chocolate, milk-based beverages and coffee cream substitutes.
• XANGOLD® Natural Lutein Esters are an effective source of lutein and have been shown to maintain eye health. XANGOLD® was the first source of lutein to complete the Food and Drug Administration’s GRAS Notification Process paving the way for its use in a broad range of foods including baked good and baking mixes, soy milk, frozen dairy desserts, processed fruit and vegetable products, egg products/ substitutes, breakfast cereals, fats and oils, beverages, hard candy, fruit snacks and dairy products. Cognis has petitioned the FDA for a qualified health claim (QHC) linking consumption of XANGOLD® natural lutein esters to a reduced risk of two major eye diseases: Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) and cataracts.
• BETATENE® Natural Mixed Carotenoids are produced from algae farmed in clean, salt-water lakes in Australia. Consumers are increasingly interested in this natural form of beta-carotene as a safe source of vitamin A, for eye health, and to bridge the gap in a diet lacking sufficient servings of fruits and vegetables. BETATENE® natural mixed carotenoids meet the requirements of 21CFR 73.95 for use as a color additive in a range of food products.
• COVITOL® Natural-Source Vitamin E and COVI-OX® Natural Mixed Tocopherols comprise the most complete line of natural-source vitamin E products available. Research shows that vitamin E contributes to good health as we age. COVITOL® natural-source vitamin E is GRAS for a broad range of foods including baked goods, meat and poultry. COVI-OX® includes the market’s highest concentration of mixed tocopherols, the natural forms of vitamin E provided in their unaltered tocopherol ratios. COVI-OX® natural mixed tocopherols are GRAS for applications including baked goods, meat, and poultry, and is acceptable for use in organic products.
• DELIOS® Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT’s) are more digestible than normal vegetable oils with long chain fatty acids and can even be absorbed without being hydrolyzed in the intestine. MCT oils are therefore well recognized in infant and medical nutrition. DELIOS® MCTs have excellent oxidative stability and a low viscosity which makes them ideal oils for flavordiluents or release agents for confectionary and baked goods.
Cognis’ Whipping Agents and Aerating Emulsifiers:
• LAMEQUICK® Whipping Agents are spray-dried powders that are based on vegetable fat, with aerated emulsifiers and milk protein. When whipped with milk or water, they produce light and creamy foams. LAMEQUICK® is used in ready-to-eat mousses and provides basic functionality for desserts, cake decorating, filling cream and soft-serve ice-cream. Cognis supplies the industry’s largest range of whipping agents.
• SPONGOLIT® Aerating Emulsifiers are used in whipped batters for all types of cakes to ensure excellent stability, volume, and consistently good crumb structure. With SPONGOLIT®, all components may be added at the same time and whipped together. It is ideal for small bakeries, large-scale cake manufacturing, and home-use cake mixes. SPONGOLIT® aerating emulsifiers are available in paste form or as spray-dried powders.
Cognis (www.Cognis.com) is a worldwide supplier of innovative specialty chemicals and nutritional ingredients. It employs about 8,100 people, and has production sites and service centers in 30 countries. The company has dedicated its activities to a high level of sustainability and delivers natural source raw materials and ingredients for food, nutrition and healthcare markets, and the cosmetics, detergents and cleaners industries. Additionally, Cognis provides solutions for a number of other industries, such as coatings and inks, lubricants, textiles and plastics, as well as agriculture and mining. Cognis is owned by private equity funds advised by Permira, GS Capital Partners, and Schroder Ventures Life Sciences. In 2004, Cognis recorded sales of 3.07 billion Euros and an operating profit before depreciation, amortization and exceptional items (EBITDA adjusted) of 362 million Euros.
Cognis Nutrition and Health, a business unit of Cognis Group, offers one of the industry’s largest portfolios of natural-source, health-enhancing ingredients for dietary supplements, functional foods, medical nutrition, pharmaceutical and healthcare products. As a global supplier, Cognis partners with industry leaders to provide science-backed products to meet today’s most pressing consumer health needs. Cognis also manufactures emulsifiers, emulsifier-based compounds, and numerous other specialty products for the food industry worldwide.