Constipation has been an issue amongst individuals in many parts of the human population for centuries. Constipation can affect anyone from babies to pregnant women and the elderly. And relief has so far been primarily through consumption of traditional laxatives, which may be unpalatable or bring unwanted side effects.
Danisco to launch OsmoAid™—its own brand of Lactitol for digestive health. Lactitol is a disaccharide sugar alcohol, which has been used for more than 20 years for its ability to promote gut mobility in constipated individuals. This sweet-tasting, odorless crystalline powder is also widely recognized as a food ingredient for use in foodstuffs and dietary supplements, and has been approved by the FAO** and WHO*.
An effective osmotic alternative
Unlike conventional laxatives, which can be harsh, OsmoAid™ works gently by:
• Lowering colonic pH and stimulating peristalsis (the rippling and wave-lie motion that contract and relax the bowel muscles) and
• Increasing the osmotic pressure in the intestinal lumen, resulting in an increase in fecal volume.1
Numerous studies conducted on constipated adults have demonstrated that OsmoAid™ is highly effective as it significantly increases stool frequency2, is well tolerated with no unnecessary adverse effects and is considered a pleasant treatment.3,4
Similarly, studies conducted on constipated children between 8 months to 16 years of age confirmed OsmoAid™ as a relieving agent with a proven therapeutic efficacy and better tolerability. In particular, it was observed that these children do not encounter abdominal pain and increased flatus.5,6
Proven efficacy, reduced side effects
Many adults suffer from idiopathic constipation and will go to different lengths to relieve the symptoms, even if it is with the use of harsh laxatives. Such individuals may also invoke a cycle of laxative abuse.
A six week study has shown that the constipated subjects experienced an increase in bowel movements and preferred the use of OsmoAid™ over other harsh cathartics.3 Overall, OsmoAid™ was reported to be well tolerated versus other osmotic laxatives with minimal side effects such as flatulence, rumblings, wind, abdominal cramps or nausea.
Depending on individual needs and age, OsmoAid™ is best taken orally between 150mg-40g/day and can be ingested by all age groups without any health concerns.
The better choice
Regardless of age group, it is clear that OsmoAid™ is far superior and highly preferred than other osmotic laxative or harsh traditional treatments when it comes to management of constipation.
Digestive health is one of the six strategic platforms that Danisco places focus on. Already an acknowledged pioneer within the probiotic and fiber fields, Danisco continues to lead the way in developing innovative solutions that further enhance consumers’ digestive health and well-being.
1. Schiller L. R., 2001 Review Article: The therapy of constipation Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2001; 15:749-763
2. Goovaerts L. and Ravelli G.P., Lactitol monhydrate for the treatment of chronic constipation; A multicentre study on the efficacy and tolerability of an individually adjusted daily dose. Acta Therapeutica 19,1993
3. Vanderdonckt J., Ravelli G.P. (1993). Lactitol as an alternative to harsh laxatives, an explanatory, open pilot study in chronic funcitonal constipation. Acta therapeutica; 19-3:295- 308
4. Delas N., Gislon J., Gilkmanas M., Henri-Biabaud E., Lemerez M., Licht H., Slama J., Gillaume P. (1991). [Lactitol in the treatment of constipation in the adult. Open, noncomparative study of its efficacy and its clinical and biological tolerance]. Ann Gastroenterol Hepatol (Paris); 27 (5): 231-3
5. Bonamico M., Deganello F., Mariani P., Lionetti P., Abenavoli F., Pitzalis G., Evidence of efficacy of Lactitol in the treatment of chronic constipation in children. Gastroenterology Suppl 1993; 104(4) :479 [Abstract], 1993
6. Pitzalis G., Deganello F., Mariani P., Chiarini-testa M.B.,Virgil II F., Gasparri R., Calvani, Baonamico M., II lattitolo nella stipsi cronica idiopatica del bambino. (Lactitole in chronic idiopathic constipation of childhood); Pediatr Med Chir. 1995 May-Jun; 17(3):223-6
* WHO – World Health Organization
** FAO – Food and Agriculture Organization
With a rich and innovative portfolio, Danisco is a world leader in food ingredients, enzymes and bio-based solutions. Using nature’s own materials, science and the knowledge of our 6,800 people, we design and deliver bio-based ingredients that meet market demand for healthier and safer products to a growing global population. Headquartered in Denmark and operating from more than 80 locations, our key focus is to become our customers’ First choice and a truly market-driven global business particularly in the areas of food, health, energy and chemicals. In May 2011, DuPont acquired Danisco forming a global leader in Nutrition & Health and Industrial Biosciences. Find out more at www.danisco.com.