SCOTTSDALE--Virgo Publishing announced that the "Focus on the Future" Executive Conference and Retreat will take place Jan. 25-28, 2003, at the Millennium Resort at McCormick Ranch in Scottsdale, Ariz. The conference features presentations from the U.S. Congress, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), National Institutes of Health (NIH), The New York Times, General Nutrition Center, Datamonitor, and others.
"There are many factors influencing the future of our industry right now, and this conference addresses each of these areas," said Jon Benninger, group publisher at Virgo Publishing. "From research to regulations, from distribution channels to consumer trends, this program will offer participants a wealth of information and opportunity for discussion."
• Christine Lewis Taylor, Ph.D., R.D., director of the Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling and Dietary Supplements at the Food and Drug Administration will address regulatory issues.
• Paul Coates, Ph.D., director of the Office of Dietary Supplements at NIH, will address the future of dietary supplement research.
• Jane Brody, syndicated Personal Health Columnist for The New York Times, will discuss media perceptions and coverage of the supplement industry.
• David Heilman, executive vice president and CFO at General Nutrition Centers will focus on the future of retail and distribution.
• Mitchell Daitz, president of Datamonitor, will offer analysis of shifting demographics and consumer trends.
• The opening speaker is author and futurist David Zach.
• Congressional participants will be announced following the November election.
In addition to the high-level presentations and discussions, Focus on the Future includes several noteworthy networking events. On Sunday, Jan. 26, participants will view the final round of the PGA Phoenix Open from a private area in the Corporate Village. Later that day, a lakeside Super Bowl party and barbecue will enable executives to network while watching the biggest game of the year. The event also includes a golf outing at McCormick Ranch Golf Club as well as dinners and receptions at the Millennium Resort.
"January in Arizona is a fantastic time of year," said Peggy Jackson, publisher of the Natural Products Division. "The weather in Scottsdale is glorious and you'll find world class cuisine from some of the country's hottest chefs. There are so many attractions from the spas to the shopping, it's an outstanding opportunity to bring your spouse and have a great time." Participation is limited to approximately 100 executives, and registration is available by contacting Benninger or Jackson. A complete agenda is available at www.focusonthefuture.net.