Los Angeles, CA, June 16, 2008 – In a recent review of Fish Oil/ Omega-3 supplements and EPA/DHA fortified foods and beverages by ConsumerLab.com, Jarrow Formulas’ Max DHA™ softgels met all label claims.
According to ConsumerLab.com tests, Jarrow Formulas’ Max DHA™ contained at least 250 mg of DHA and 36 mg of EPA per softgel based on label claims (not exceeding 150% of the claimed amounts of EPA and DHA). Jarrow Formulas Max DHA™ was also found to adhere to the Proposition 65 standards – California’s Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. Furthermore, Jarrow Formulas Max DHA™ contained safe levels of PCBs and Dioxins.
All Omega-3 marine oil capsules, softgel and liquid products reviewed were tested for amounts of EPA, DHA and other omega-3 fatty acids, freshness (peroxide value, anisidine value, and TOTOX) and potential contamination with mercury, lead and PCBs.
All products were assessed in independent laboratories. Products not passing the initial assay for EPA and DHA, peroxide value, anisidine value, TOTOX and/or mercury or lead were tested in another independent laboratory utilizing a similar method.
To pass, a product had to:
- Contain 100% and not exceed 150% of the claimed amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA;
- Have a peroxide value (PV) of no more than 5 meq/kg, an anisidine value (AV) of no more than 20, and a TOTOX value of no more than 26 (calculated as (2 x PV) + AV) (GOED Monograph Recommendation);
- Contain less than 0.1 ppm of mercury (GOED Monograph Recommendation);
- Contain less than 0.09 mg/kg (ppm) of Total PCBs (sum of four non-ortho PCBs and eight mono-ortho PCBs). (GOED Monograph Recommendation);
- Conform to the State of California Proposition 65 limits on lead contamination in the recommended daily serving of a supplement and, in no event, exceed 2 mcg of lead in a daily serving.
- If tested for dioxins (sum of 17 individual dioxin congeners), contain no more than 2 TEF/g (expressed in World Health Organization (WHO) toxic equivalents as WHO-toxic equivalent factors (TEFs). (GOED Monograph Recommendation)
A “Pass” was based on meeting the above criteria in either the first or second rounds of testing.
Jarrow Formulas offers the following Max DHA products:
- Max DHA™, 90 and 180 softgels: a combination of Fish Oil (EPA, DHA and other Omega-3), Gamma Tocopherol and Ascorbyl Palmitate.
- Max DHA™ Liquid, 200 ml liquid: a combination of Fish Oil (EPA, DHA and other Omega-3).
Jarrow Formulas’ Max DHA™ contains highly concentrated omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil that has been ultra purified by molecular distillation.
ConsumerLab.com (CL) is a provider of test results and information that helps consumers and healthcare professionals evaluate the quality and purity of nutrition and supplement products. Since its founding in 1999, CL has tested more than 2,000 products, representing over 350 different brands and nearly every type of popular supplement.
Jarrow Formulas is a nutritional supplement formulator and marketer founded in 1977 and incorporated in 1988. The company markets its products throughout the United States and internationally in more than 20 countries in Europe, Asia, Israel and Latin America. The company offers a complete line of nutritional products that includes vitamins, minerals, probiotics, standardized herbal concentrates, amino acids, enzymes and enteral nutrition formulations. Jarrow Formulas, Inc. is active in regulatory affairs, helping to maintain American’s rights to free access to dietary supplements. Its products are manufactured by Jarrow Industries Incorporated, a pharmaceutical quality facility located in Santa Fe Springs, CA. For more information, contact Mark Becker, Director, Advertising/Communications toll free at (800) 726-0886 or access the Jarrow Formulas Web site at www.Jarrow.com.