Yeast has always been naturally associated with healthy, beautiful hair and nails. Based on the official recognition by EFSA of beauty-related Health Claims for Selenium, Zinc and B Vitamins, Lallemand Health Ingredients is now able to offer the nutricosmetics market premium yeast based minerals and vitamins from its Lalmin range. Selenium, Zinc and B vitamins yeasts from Lallemand Health Ingredients are suitable for the formulation of food supplements promoting healthy skin (antioxidant, anti-age, sun protection…), nails and/or hair, for manufacturers willing to benefit from the natural, health-promoting image of yeast.
The Nutricosmetics market is taking off in Western Europe, especially in France, Germany and Italy, while in Asia, beauty-from-within dietary supplements already face an important demand. Thanks to their anti-age potential, antioxidants are very popular in nutricosmetics.
Selenium, which already bears an anti-oxidant Article 13.1 Health Claim (“Contributes to the protection of cell constituents from oxidative damage”), has been granted additional ‘beauty claims’ concerning hair and nails: “Contributes to the maintenance of normal hair”, and “Contributes to the maintenance of normal nails” \[1\].
LalminSe is based on inactivated whole cells of Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast containing elevated levels of organically-bound selenium (selenium yeast has been recognized by EFSA as the most bioavailable source of selenium for human nutrition in 2008 \[2\]).
Lalmin Se offers recognized antioxidant properties (sun protection, anti-age applications…), as well as benefits to maintain healthy hair and nails.
A clinical study (3) has shown the sun-protection potential of an antioxidant complex containing LalminSe. The authors found that the supplement significantly increased skin tolerance to UV light in volunteers (+22% increased of the Minimal Erythema Dose), reducing the risks of sunburns. Melanin production and skin coloration were also enhanced. In parallel, they showed a significant reduction of UV-induced oxidative stress and a reduction of genotoxicity in skin, what was qualified as “an indicator of a potential reduction of the most deleterious effects of solar exposure, such as skin cancers and aging.”
The Lalmin range offers additional yeast-based vitamins and minerals with recognized beauty benefits:
- premium Zinc yeast source, with antioxidant, hair, nail and skin benefits (4).
- B Vitamins yeast, standardized in seven B vitamins, also essential to maintain healthy hair and skin.
The processing conditions of Lalmin ingredients preserve the intrinsic nutritional properties of the yeast and its levels of beneficial nutrients such as minerals, micronutrients, dietary fibres, making Lalmin ingredients ideal candidates for beauty supplements with a natural image to capitalize on yeast benefits.
Either separately or in combination, Lalmin range of yeast based minerals and vitamins can offer a variety of applications on the nutricosmetics market, targeting skin (anti-age, antioxidant, sun protection…) hair and nail health and beauty.
(1) EFSA Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies (NDA); Scientific Opinion on the substantiation of health claims related to selenium and maintenance of normal hair (ID 281), maintenance of normal nails (ID 281), protection against heavy metals (ID 383), maintenance of normal joints (ID 409), maintenance of normal thyroid function (ID 410, 1292), protection of DNA, proteins and lipids from oxidative damage (ID 1292), and maintenance of the normal function of the immune system (ID 1750) pursuant to Article 13(1) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006. The EFSA Journal 2010;8(10):1727. 1
(2) Scientific Opinion of the Panel on Food Additives, Flavourings, Processing Aids and Materials in Contact with Food (AFC) on a request from the Commission on Selenium-enriched yeast as source for selenium. The EFSA Journal (2008) 766, 1-43.
(3) J. P. Cesarini, L. Michel, J. M. Marette, H. Adhoute, M. Bejot. Immediate effects of UV radiation on the skin: modification by an antioxidant complex containing carotenoids. Photodermatol. Photoimmunol. Photomed.; 2003; 19: 182–189
(4) EFSA Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies (NDA); Scientific Opinion on the substantiation of health claims related to zinc and maintenance of normal skin (ID 293), DNA synthesis and cell division (ID 293), contribution to normal protein synthesis (ID 293, 4293), maintenance of normal serum testosterone concentrations (ID 301), “normal growth” (ID 303), reduction of tiredness and fatigue (ID 304), contribution to carbohydrate metabolism (ID 382), maintenance of normal hair (ID 412), maintenance of normal nails (ID 412) and contribution to normal macronutrient metabolism (ID 2890) pursuant to Article 13(1) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006. EFSA Journal 2010;8(10):1819