Naturex, a world leader in specialty plant-based ingredients, presents its consolidated revenue for the first quarter of financial year 2012.
Consolidated revenue for the first quarter of 2012 stands at €73.5 million, up 12.6 percent in constant currencies, and includes:
- €69.6 million in revenue from the historical scope, up 8.8 percent despite a high base effect over the first quarter of 2011;
- €2.4 million in additional revenue generated by the activities of Burgundy, which were slightly slowed down by the extension works at the Reyssouze production site in France;
- €1.4 million in sales generated by Pektowin, of which the activity includes a significant seasonal effect with more substantial sales in concentrated juices in the 2nd half of the year.
The currency effects of +1.9 percent reflect the favourable impact of the change in certain currencies, primarily in the US dollar, compared to the first quarter of 2011.
For information, Pektowin's secondary activities that are being abandoned generated €0.7 million in sales that were not included in the quarter's revenue.
Strong growth in the three markets
The three markets made a positive contribution to the quarter's growth, sustained by an increasingly complete offering and a more and more customised support in terms of applications.
- The Food & Beverage activity generated €47.8 million in revenue, up 19.1 percent confirming the dynamics in the ranges, especially in natural colours;
- The Nutrition & Health activity is up 12.5 percent, with revenue of €22.0 million confirming its strong positioning in the nutraceutical market and its penetration in the pharmaceutical sector, particularly thanks to the range of active ingredients and titrated extracts from Burgundy;
- Sales in the Personal Care activity were multiplied by nearly 2.5 over the first quarter, thanks not only to Burgundy’s ranges in this segment, but also thanks to targeted marketing initiatives that are beginning to bear fruit.
Moreover, the toll extraction activity was lower in this quarter in light of the shift in orders but will have a very good level in the 2nd quarter of 2012.
Sustained growth in all of the geographical regions
The momentum in growth initiated in 2011 continued in the first quarter with the progression in all of the geographical regions:
- The mature markets in Europe and North America are still the main contributors to growth despite more tight consumer trends in Europe over the quarter;
- The Asia/Pacific region recorded good growth, driven by solid activity in Australia as well as fast growth in sales in Asia;
- The emerging markets in Eastern Europe, Asia, Latin America, Africa and the Middle East are benefitting from dynamic conditions, rich in growth opportunities. Over the quarter, these represent 15.9 percent of the Group's sales compared to 16.2 percent in the first quarter of 2011.
“This beginning of the year is very promising for Naturex, we are enjoying strong growth in all of our markets and in all of the geographical regions where we are located,” declares Thierry Lambert, the group's vice president and chief financial officer.
“Backed with this momentum and thanks to the commitment of our teams all around the world, we are confident in our ability to actively pursue our development by consolidating our positions and creating sales synergies with our recent acquisitions.”