A new directorate, the Marketed Health Products Directorate, has been created within the Health Products & Food Branch (HPFB) of Health Canada. This Directorate reports to the assistant Deputy Minister of the HPFB, Diane Gorman, and is responsible for post market surveillance of marketed health products in Canada.
As of April 1, 2002, the Marketed Health Products Directorate (MHPD) is mandated with ensuring that a consistent approach is taken regarding monitoring, assessment and intervention procedures for pharmaceuticals, biologicals, vaccines, medical devices, natural health products, radiopharmaceuticals and veterinary drug products. Specific activities of the MHPD will include:
- monitoring and collecting adverse reaction and medication incident data;
- reviewing and analyzing marketed health product safety data;
- conducting risk/benefit assessments of marketed health products; communicating product related risks to health care professionals and the public;
- overview of regulatory advertising activities;
- active surveillance and drug effectiveness projects.
The Directorate is receiving initial funding of $10 million.