The Health Committee has called for submissions on this inquiry. Further information can be obtained from the committee secretariat -
The committee will:
- consider the legislative and regulatory regimes governing dietary supplements and traditional remedies in other countries.
- consider an appropriate regulatory framework to govern dietary supplements and traditional remedies in New Zealand, including assessments of:
- whether this should be by the proposed joint trans-Tasman therapeutic products agency, including an examination of the process followed in developing this proposal
- the risk created by the use of dietary supplements and traditional medicines
- the compliance costs that would be imposed and any added cost to consumers
- whether indigenous complementary medicinal/rongoa products and extracts used for alternative therapy would be protected.