Bioavailable and Safe Selenium Ingredient Confirmed Safe for Use in Foods and Beverages
PISCATAWAY, N.J., March 31, 2008 - Sabinsa Corporation today announced Selenium SeLECT(R), the company's branded L-(+)-Selenomethionine compound and the most bioavailable, pure and safe form of selenium, received GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) designation after an intensive review of safety and toxicology data by an independent panel of respected scientists assembled by Soni & Associates, Inc. This GRAS status allows for Selenium SeLECT to be used in a variety of food and beverage applications including yogurt, flavored milk, pudding, bread, cookies, pasta, cereal, oils, candies, water, beverages, tea, herbs and other natural blends.
"As consumers continue to embrace functional foods and beverages as a major component of a healthy lifestyle, manufacturers are searching for safe and efficacious ingredients to improve the nutritional profile of their finished products," stated Muhammed Majeed, Ph.D., Managing Director and CEO, Sabinsa Corporation. "Given the increasing number of ineffective and sometimes dangerous products on the market today, the proven safety and efficacy of Selenium SeLECT, as exemplified by its clinical research and GRAS status, makes it ideal for inclusion in a full-array of food and beverage offerings.
Selenium is a trace mineral that is found naturally in soil and has been shown to have several positive health benefits. When consumed, selenium enters the body to form selenoproteins and glutathione, the body's antioxidant immune system detoxifier. Selenium SeLECT's superior quality as a selenium ingredient is additionally supported by the following:
- The worldwide quality standard or United States Pharmacopeia (USP) monograph for selenomethionine is based on Selenium SeLECT
- Selenium SeLECT is registered and approved by the European Union as a safe form of selenium supplementation
- The National Cancer Institute (NCI) is using Selenium SeLECT for its Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT), a 12-year study focused on the role of selenium and vitamin E, both separately and together, in the prevention of prostate cancer. Additionally, NCI is conducting the Prevention of Alzheimer's by Selenium SeLECT and Vitamin E (PREADVISE) trial, researching the role of selenium and vitamin E in preventing memory damage with age, including Alzheimer's and other diseases that can affect the brain. Selenium SeLECT was chosen for these NCI studies because of its high quality.
- Selenium SeLECT has been certified by NSF International
- Selenium SeLECT is manufactured at Sabinsa's state-of-the-art facility in India
Sabinsa Corporation is a manufacturer and supplier of herbal extracts, cosmeceuticals, minerals and specialty fine chemicals. Celebrating its 20th year servicing the natural products industry, Sabinsa's mission is to provide alternative and complementary natural products for human nutrition and wellbeing. Over the past several years, the company has brought to market more than 50 standardized botanical extracts and privately funded several clinical studies in conjunction with prestigious institutions in support of these products. With more than 100 scientists working full time conducting ongoing research both in India and the United States, Sabinsa continues to develop and patent phytonutrients for the world market. Sabinsa has six state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in India dedicated to the production of herbal extracts, phytochemicals, specialty chemicals, biotech ingredients and supercritical extracts. In the U.S., the company operates a 42,000-square-foot facility in Payson, Utah, which provides cutting-edge capabilities for the development of capsules, tablets, bulk custom pre-mixes, drum-to-hopper blends, stick packs and powdered drinks. All of Sabinsa's facilities use effluent water treatment systems and are environmentally conscious and friendly. All products are intended for human consumption and certified Kosher. For more information visit www.sabinsa.com.
# # #