The Organic Summit, a forum for vital education and robust discussion among leaders, executives and thought influencers in the organics community, returns for a second year to downtown Boulder, Colorado, with a compelling agenda of speakers, seminars and special events.
This year's theme, 'Cultivating Innovation and Transparency in the Organic Community,' explores the landscape of true sustainability, technology, messaging and responsibility. Lack of progress on standards and insufficient enforcement have led consumers and advocates to the courts to protect organic integrity. The lack of transparency weakens the organic label's meaning in the marketplace, placing it in jeopardy of becoming a passing cultural fad.
Seminars and speakers will address the theme from various angles, including discussion and debate on nanotechnology, domestic fair trade, developing a sustainability scorecard and social investing in organics.
Opening keynoter Daria Myers, global president of Origins Natural Resources, is a founding member of the team that created the wellness-based beauty brand Origins. She also has had a notable career with the Estée Lauder Companies and Aveda. Her talk will address the changing corporate landscape and organics.
Closing keynoter Seth Goldman is co-founder, president and CEO of Honest Tea, the first certified-organic bottled tea. The company was bought by Coca-Cola this year. Appropriately, his talk is titled, 'Maintaining the Integrity of an Organic Brand When Coca-Cola Calls.' The summit ends with the fifth annual Organic Farming Research Foundation Midsummer's Eve?Organic Benefit Reception and Dinner at the Pastures of Plenty Farm.
Organic Summit selected speakers
- Andy Fisher, Community Food Security Coalition
- Samantha Cabaluna, Earthbound Farms
- Cate Baril, TransFair USA
- Esther Park, RSF Social Finance
- Dr Kater Hake, Cotton Incorporated
- Joe Mendelsohn III, ICTA
- Michael Hanson, Consumers Union
- Kristen Kulinowski, Rice University
Selected breakout- session topics
- Organics on the edge
- Lawyers are our friends … really
- Nanotechnology in a food system near you
- Speed D(eb)ating: domestic Fair Trade
- Sustainability scorecard
- Venture philanthropy and social investing
- New organic knowledge: the impact and future of organic research