Two Degrees Food(TM), the one-for-one food company founded to fight childhood hunger around the world, recently made its first donation of 10,800 nutrition packs to malnourished children in Africa. The shipment of medically formulated packs, which reached a Partners In Health medical clinic last month in Neno, Malawi, was made possible by the purchases of Two Degrees bars by U.S. consumers. For every bar sold, Two Degrees gives away a nutrition pack to a child in need.
Founders Will Hauser and Lauren Walters traveled to Africa to observe the impact made by Two Degrees supporters firsthand. Hauser and Walters spent ten days visiting with children and community health partners and touring the factories that locally produce the vital nutrition packs. They were joined by Dr. Karen Sadler, Two Degrees' Pediatric Nutrition Advisor, and Christine Smith, Two Degrees' Director of Digital Marketing.
"It was an amazing and humbling trip," said Will Hauser, co-founder of Two Degrees Food. "It made us even more determined to help as many children as we can."
Two Degrees today announced the launch of its new microsite—http://www.twodegreesfood.com/malawi—to allow supporters to experience the trip through videos, photo slideshows, blogs, and interviews. Some of the experiences people will see include:
· Photo slideshows of children who received the nutrition packs;
· Blog posts from Dr. Karen Sadler about food security and her experience through the eyes of a pediatrician and mom;
· Blog posts from Will Hauser and Lauren Walters, co-founders of Two Degrees Food, about what the trip meant to each of them;
· Photo slideshows and video from Two Degrees partner Valid Nutrition's factory, where the medically formulated nutrition packs are locally manufactured;
· Photo slideshows and video from Community Health Centers run by Partners In Health, a Two Degrees partner, which distributes nutrition packs and other community healthcare interventions to malnourished children and their families; and
· Video and interviews with the Malawian Principal Secretary for Nutrition and HIV and AIDS, where government officials tout the importance of innovative models like Two Degrees in addressing the staggering scope of child hunger in African nations.
"Over the next month, it'll become increasingly real to our site visitors, friends and supporters that only two degrees separates American consumers from children around the world who benefit from our collective help," added Lauren Walters, co-founder of Two Degrees Food. "We encourage everyone to look through the pictures and watch the videos, as they make our world seem a little smaller."
To learn more about Two Degrees' mission in Africa, visit http://www.twodegreesfood.com/malawi. Additionally, participants in Two Degrees' online community will be eligible to win gift packages, which include Two Degrees nutrition bars, Two Degrees water bottles and mementos from Malawi.
The all-natural and gluten-free Two Degrees nutrition bars are developed by the former Creative Chef and Director of Product Development for Odwalla, Barr Hogen. The bars are a fusion of real fruits, toasted nuts and seeds, and wholesome grains, and are a healthy and socially conscious option. Two Degrees currently offers three flavors: Apple Pecan, Cherry Almond and Chocolate Peanut. For $19.95 at www.twodegreesfood.com, customers can buy a nine-bar box, which triggers the donation of nine medically formulated nutrition packs to hungry children. For information about Two Degrees, to buy nutrition bars online or to find local retail outlets, visit www.twodegreesfood.com.
About Two Degrees Food(TM) Two Degrees Food(TM) is a one-for-one food company that feeds a hungry child with every product sold. By combining delicious, healthy nutrition bars with a commitment to giving a medically formulated nutrition pack to a hungry child for every bar purchased, Two Degrees' products embrace the concept Is Good. Does Good.(TM) Two Degrees has partnered with Valid Nutrition and Partners In Health, two organizations that bring deep expertise in the formulation, manufacturing and distribution of cutting-edge Ready-to-Use Foods to treat severe and chronic malnutrition in children. For more information about Two Degrees, visit www.twodegreesfood.com.