The Program in Integrative Medicine’s new online course is an introduction to concepts and elements of the ancient traditional medicine of Ayurveda. It includes interactive, case-based learning, graphic illustrations and video clips exploring concepts unique to Ayurveda. Explore doshas, agni, dhatus, srotamsi, Ayurvedic pharmacology, diet and lifestyle, plus evidence and research regarding Ayurvedic botanicals and yoga.
Created in collaboration with Dr. Vasant Lad, founder and director of the Ayurvedic Institute. Dr. Lad is the author of several books and is respected throughout the world for his knowledge of Ayurveda. This course is intended to introduce the basic theory and principles of Ayurvedic Medicine to conventionally trained health care providers.
• Discuss Ayurveda’s concepts and treatment philosophy
• Understand Ayurvedic approaches to patient assessment and diagnosis
• Describe different treatment approaches in traditional Ayurvedic medicine, including the benefi t of popular therapies (i.e., yoga, meditation, botanical medicines) with your patients
• Identify effi cacy, effectiveness, and safety for traditional Ayurvedic medicine
• Identify qualities and educational background of qualifi ed Ayurvedic practitioners
Dr. Vasant Lad, Ayurvedic Physician, graduated with a Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (B.A.M.S.) from the University of Pune, India, in 1968 and received a Master of Ayurvedic Science (M.A.Sc.) in 1980 from Tilak Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, also in Pune. Dr. Lad brings a wealth of classroom and practical experience to the United States. A native of India, he served for three years as Medical Director of the Ayurveda Hospital in Pune and was Professor of Clinical Medicine at the Pune University College of Ayurvedic Medicine where he was an instructor for more than a decade. Dr. Lad’s training includes the study of allopathic medicine and surgery. He founded the Ayurvedic Institute in Albuquerque, New Mexico in 1984 and currently is its Director and principal instructor. Dr. Lad is the author of several books and is respected throughout the world for his knowledge of Ayurveda.
More information is available at: http://integrativemedicine.arizona.edu/online_courses/ayurveda/