PHOENIX, ARIZ., Oct. 5, 2004 — Weil Lifestyle, LLC announced today that it has entered into four licensee agreements providing healthy consumer products created in alignment with the philosophies of Andrew Weil, M.D. They include Origins Natural Resources, one of the Estée Lauder Companies, Pet Promise, Arizona Nutritional Supplements, and Jamieson Laboratories. Weil Lifestyle estimates first-year royalties of over $4 million from the company’s licensee portfolio, which also includes drugstore.com and Waterfront Media, Inc. As a founding corporate charter commitment, Dr. Weil will donate all of his after-tax profits from product sales directly to the Weil Foundation, an independent 501(c) (3) organization he established to advance integrative medicine research and programs.
“My primary purpose in creating Weil Lifestyle is to provide a funding platform to support research and programs that will ultimately improve health care and empower individuals to make better health choices by following the principles of integrative medicine. I also want to make quality products available to people who are interested in following my recommendations,” said Dr. Weil. “As a student and teacher of integrative medicine for the last 30 years, it’s my personal mission to drive research, teaching, clinical practice and public education that advance this system which I believe is the future of medicine.”
Weil Lifestyle’s management team has worked closely with Dr. Weil to select corporate partners who share his vision to improve consumer health care. “By partnering with philosophically-aligned and best-in-class companies, we’re accelerating the adoption of Dr. Weil’s integrative approach to health and health care. Dr. Weil and our licensee partners are collaborating to create quality products based on Dr. Weil’s work. The products combine good science, innovation, understanding of the mind-body interaction, and respect for health education and individual empowerment,” said David Stoup, Co-Chairman of Weil Lifestyle.
• Origins Natural Resources, one of The Estée Lauder Companies, will work side-by-side with Dr. Weil to develop an innovative wellness product line scheduled to launch in late 2005.
• Natural Pet Nutrition will work with Dr. Weil as it launches the first line of national pet foods, under the Pet Promise brand name, that gives pet owners a purity guarantee. Pet Promise’s formulas don’t contain any animal byproducts, added growth hormones or antibiotics, rendered or recycled meats and fats, brain or spinal tissue, or any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives commonly found in commercial pet foods. Pet Promise will be available nationwide in natural food stores, such as Wild Oats Natural Marketplace, beginning in October 2004.
• Arizona Nutritional Supplements (ANS) has been awarded an exclusive U.S. licensee agreement to manufacture, market, and distribute Dr. Weil’s retail nutritional supplement line based on his own recommendations and proprietary formulas. Weil Nutritional Supplements will be launched exclusively to natural food retail stores throughout the U.S. beginning in January 2005.
• Jamieson Laboratories/Quest Vitamins, the market leader in Canada, has been awarded the exclusive Canadian licensee agreement to manufacture, market, and distribute a premiere retail nutritional supplement line based on Dr. Weil’s recommendations and proprietary formulas. The supplement line will be launched in over 500 Canadian natural health food outlets in December 2004.
The foundation’s five-year goal is to raise at least $10 million that will include Dr. Weil’s personal after-tax profits from products as well as other charitable contributions. The Weil Foundation is dedicated to:
• Improve how physicians and health professionals are trained and how they practice medicine
• Educate the public about health, healing and the importance of nutrition
• Reform public policies governing health and health care
• Build more and better research opportunities dedicated to the application of integrative medicine and related topics in a range of fields
About Weil Lifestyle, LLC
Weil Lifestyle, an organization founded by Andrew Weil, M.D., is committed to improve health and health care through consumer products and philanthropy that advance the principles of integrative medicine. All of Dr. Weil’s after-tax profits from products are donated to the Weil Foundation. For more information visit DrWeil.com.
About Dr. Weil
A world-renowned leader and pioneer in the field of integrative medicine, Dr. Weil is a best-selling author and editorial director of DrWeil.com, the leading online resource for healthy living based on an integrative medicine philosophy. Dr. Weil’s books include the national bestsellers Spontaneous Healing, 8 Weeks to Optimum Health, Eating Well for Optimum Health and The Healthy Kitchen. He also authors the popular “Self Healing” newsletter and writes a monthly column for Prevention magazine. Dr. Weil is an internationally-recognized expert on integrative medicine, medicinal herbs and mind-body interactions. He is a clinical professor of internal medicine and the founder and director of the Program in Integrative Medicine (PIM) at the University of Arizona in Tucson. Dr. Weil received both his medical degree and his undergraduate AB degree in biology (botany) from Harvard University. As a frequent guest on “Larry King Live” and “Oprah,” Dr. Weil provides valuable information and insight on how to incorporate conventional and complementary medicine practices in one’s life to optimize the body’s natural healing mechanisms.