Solgar proudly introduces Resveratrol 250 mg with Red Wine Extract Softgels, offering consumers naturally-derived resveratrol from Polygonum cuspidatum for optimal antioxidant support.* This high-quality formula also provides 10 mg of red wine extract from grape skin.
“Resveratrol continues to be recognized for its important antioxidant properties and support of wellness,” said Douglas Millar, Solgar Director of Products. “We’re excited to offer this new higher potency to our consumers.”
Resveratrol, a polyphenol, was first isolated in grape skins. It also occurs in peanuts, red wine, and some herbs such as Polygonum cuspidatum. Polyphenols possess powerful antioxidant activity that helps fight cell-damaging free radicals in the body.* Free radicals can lead to the premature aging of cells. In recent years, the scientific anti-aging community discovered a family of genes in mammals called SIR (in lower animals) or SIRT (in mammals) encoding for proteins called sirtuins. These proteins were shown to improve quality of life under conditions of caloric restriction.*1-4 Since severe caloric restriction is not a sustainable or ideal practice for humans, researchers began searching for natural products that could turn on SIRT genes. They discovered that resveratrol could mimic the positive effects of caloric restriction.*5 Additional studies showed that even with high-calorie diets, resveratrol turned on SIRT genes, which supported healthy biomarkers such as increased insulin sensitivity and balanced blood sugar that are usually compromised with high-calorie diets.*6 Previous studies have shown resveratrol is cardioprotective.*7
Solgar’s Resveratrol 250 mg with Red Wine Extract Softgels are free of sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, and dairy products and are formulated without the use of artificial preservatives or flavors. Each daily serving of one softgel provides 250 mg of resveratrol from 500 mg of Polygonum cuspidatum. This product will be available in fine health food stores nationwide.
For over 60 years, Solgar, Inc. has been educating and providing consumers worldwide with premiumquality, innovative, science-based nutritional supplements that enhance overall wellness. Committed to quality, Solgar utilizes stability testing, expiration dating, USP water filtration, and quality control analyses to ensure potency and purity in every product. With its world headquarters located in Leonia, NJ, Solgar exclusively distributes its more than 450 products directly to natural health food retailers across the globe.
Additional information about Solgar can be found at www.solgar.com.
1. Tissenbaum HA and L Guarente. Increased dosage of a sir-2 gene extends lifespan in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nature. 2001;410(6825):227-30.
2. Rogina B and SL Helfand. Sir2 mediates longevity in the fly through a pathway related to calorie restriction. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA.
3. Howitz KT et al. Small molecule activators of sirtuins extend Saccharomyces cerevisiae lifespan. Nature. 2003;425(6954):191-6.
4. Wood JG et al. Sirtuin activators mimic caloric restriction and delay ageing in metazoans. Nature. 2004;430(7000):686-9.
5. Valenzano DR et al. Resveratrol prolongs lifespan and retards the onset of age-related markers in a short-lived vertebrate. Curr Biol.
6. Baur JA et al. Resveratrol improves health and survival of mice on a high-calorie diet. Nature. 2006;444(7117):337-42.
7. Bradamante S et al. Cardiovascular protective effects of resveratrol. Cardiovasc Drug Rev. 2004;22(3):169-88.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.