"Branding and storytelling is a profound manifestation of the human experience."
—Debbie Millman, Design Matters
Part 1: The earliest visual cues
- Why are humans infatuated with telling stories?
- The history behind symbols and what it can tell us about branding today.
Part 2: The '5 waves' of branding
- The "5 waves" of branding throughout history and their direct relationship to major cultural shifts.
- The roots of modern branding and how brands have captivated different generations of consumers.
Part 3: Human connection at the core
- Why do we believe these stories, and why do we follow brands?
- Overview of the cultural waves and understanding the obsession with social media.
Part 4: Where are we now?
- What is the next wave, and how do new generations connect with brands?
- Why brands must create compelling content in order to reach today's consumer.
Part 5: Deliberate differentiation
- Advice for the natural brands to differentiate when the word "natural" has become litigious.
- How can brands work around people's short attention spans?
This session—Visual Storytelling, How to Use Art & Language to Grow Your Brand—was recorded at Natural Products Expo East 2016.