"An evolution has occurred in the world of food safety ... the industry—we ourselves—are identifying that we've been more reactive than proactive in food safety and we want to switch that paradigm."
—Natalie Ohanessian, Food Happy Consulting
Part 1: Introduction to modern food safety
- Overview of the importance of food safety.
- Building a strong recall team and conducting a mock recall plan.
Part 2: Proactive versus reactive
- What is the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) and what can you do to prepare?
- What you should know about third-party auditing and Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) certification.
Part 3: Common pitfalls: missing documentation and programs
- Workshop two common pitfalls and how to avoid them.
- The procedures of conducting internal audits.
Part 4: Common pitfalls: allergens and customer complaints
- Workshop two more common pitfalls and how to avoid them.
- The importance of having a strong partnership with ingredient suppliers.
Part 5: Questions and answers
- Hiring a full-time QA manager.
- How long does it take to prepare for an audit?
- What your crossfunctional team for FSMA should look like.
This session—An Introduction to Modern Food Safety & Quality Management—was recorded at Natural Products Expo West 2017. Click "download" below to access the presentation slides.