“The endocannabinoid system is to our body what an offensive line is to a football team. They can set the stage for scoring a touchdown, but they’re not touching the ball. They are critical to the success of the team. …The endocannabinoid system sets the stage for the hero ingredients to come in and produce the end result.”
—Michael Murray, doctormurray.com
Part 1: The endocannabinoid system
- The endocannabinoid system (ECS), and the way phytocannabinoids work, is a system that predates the cannabis plant.
- The ECS is vital in our body and is supported by diet, lifestyle and environmental factors. It’s primary role is to create homeostasis within the body’s internal environment.
- The endocannabinoid system plays a role in our immune function, brain function, and inflammation, all possible applications for hemp-derived compounds.
- Endocannabinoid Deficiency Syndrome is a key underlying factor in virtually every health condition you can imagine.
Part 2: What about CBD?
- There’s more hype about CBD than solid science. It’s an industry built on shaky ground.
- Claims that CBD is “derived from hemp stalks” are unreliable.
- The existing clinical research for CBD needs to be improved, as it relates to dosing and the conditions treated by CBD.
- CBD relies on an “entourage effect” to be effective.
Part 3: Audience Q&A
- In regards to the research on dosing vs. the entourage effect, is the research primarily around the isolate, as opposed to a full spectrum product?
- What is the best way to digest CBD?
- Is CBD classified as homeopathic?
This session—21st Century Health Science: The Endocannabinoid System—was recorded at Natural Products Expo West 2018. Click "download" below to access the presentation slides.