“It was important for me to really connect with my consumers and figure out, ‘Who is my Instagram consumer?’, 'Who is my Facebook consumer?’, 'Who is my retail consumer?’ … I can really know who those people are and understand them and understand what they want, and provide them different strategies on different channels.”
—Amy Lacey, Founder and CEO, Cali’flour Foods
- In 2016 there weren’t really any other cauliflower products on the market; we shared our product and story online and it went viral in January 2017.
- Started in farmers markets then diret-to-consumer then Amazon and a few other sites, then retail with a restaurant thrown in there in between.
- The “why” is the key: Adapt your marketing to those people, don’t try to hit everybody.
- Lacey: I put a lot of my early resources into customer care (via our CS team); I spent most of my budget here.
- Be selective about the retailers you go into: don’t just think about the money, think about the consumer and making sure you’re in the right place.
This session—Fueling Sales in an Omnichannel World: Leveraging eCommerce Entry into Successful Retail Strategy—was recorded at Natural Products Expo West 2019. Click "download" below to access the presentation slides.