New Hope Network is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Hispanics Being Ignored by Health Food Industry

The Hispanic community is largely being ignored by the health food and dietary supplement markets, said two Nutracon speakers. “This industry has missed the point,” says family practitioner Cesar Diaz from Salt Lake City. Hispanics are the largest minority in this country, at 45 million, but they are not being served by the health food industry. The buying power for this community is $750 billion, and most spend cash rather than credit cards, he says, which is good news for retailers because of lower overall costs per transactions.

Speaking from experience as a family doctor and a immigrant from Ecuador, Diaz says:“Holistic medicine is the first line of care and prevention because it is a part of our culture and tradition.” That said, Diaz warned that given the Hispanic community has” unique culture and traditions—one cannot translate everything into Spanish and expect it to work.”

Though a majority of Hispanics are Mexican (65%), the other 35% are not. This means that in order to truly understand this community, one must get involved to learn more about exactly how to connect with these very loyal and motivated individuals. Diaz says that there are some simple and very affordable ways to reach the Hispanic community—television and radio advertising on Spanish speaking stations is two thirds to one half cheaper than English speaking stations.

Other tips, Diaz suggests are to partially label your product in Spanish. Introduce your business to Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and the church and school communities. Once you reach them, they will be hugely loyal for a very long time, he says.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.