Fabulous satiety ingredient for long term weight management
Peter Liu, Market Development Manager, DSM Nutritional Products Asia Pacific
Have you heard of taking oil for weight management? It seems an irony but Lipid Technologies Provider AB, now part of DSM, found that lipids delivered directly to the ileum gave a distinct feeling of satiety (i.e. the amount of time it takes to become hungry again). When researching the cascade of signals that normally regulate appetite, their work led them to develop a patented oil-in-water emulsion called Fabuless™. Its carefully ‘encapsulated’ microstructure is thought to delay the digestion of the core palm oil droplets in the gastrointestinal track (figure 1).
Since 2006, there has been a surge in product launches targeting satiety. With such products, one may be ‘conditioned’ to feel full for longer after a meal, resulting naturally in eating less at the next meal and hopefully also in refraining from snacking. More than 60% of the top 10 reasons cited by Americans for not being successful at losing their weight were related to food intake (figure 2). This fits well with the International Food Information Council’s recent findings that weight conscious consumers were proactively reducing their intake portion and calorie (figure 3). This is being matched by the increasing popularity of our favourite food being offered in smaller portion size (figure 4).
Through 6 published studies in peer reviewed journals, the clinically proven effects of Fabuless™ include:
• Significant reduction (12- 29%) in energy intake at subsequent meals.
• Effects lasting more than 8 hours from one dose.
• Effective for normal and overweight users.
• Helps prevent weight regain after dieting.
Changing people from a diet consisting of high fat or high amount of processed food, to a smaller portion diet consisting of high fibre food could leave many of them feeling hungry very quickly and resorting to snacking to overcome the hunger. Similarly, those who have successfully completed a diet program and lost considerable weight could easily succumb to many delicious temptations once they are ‘released’ into the real world, leading to weight cycling. Stanford University Medical Centre (USA) quoted on its website that “weight cycling… may result in some health risks such as high blood pressure, gallbladder disease, and high cholesterol… The best strategy is to avoid weight cycling and to maintain healthy weight through activity and health eating.”
Therefore, “satiety promoting” products can play an important role in weight management. Wouldn’t it be even more appealing if such a product possesses the following features?
- Effect of prolonged fullness can be felt 3-4 hours after taking the very first dose;
- Convenience of once a day dose has been shown to be sufficient to reduce one’s daily calorie intake;
- Allowing one to enjoy normal food (including the occasional indulgence) without too much guilt because one would naturally eat less;
- So natural and so safe that it can be taken on a long term basis;
- Suitable even for vegetarians;
- Can be taken in conjunction with other products or diet programs to enhance the desired effect;
- Could maintain one’s weight after a diet program so that one could save money and time (not to mention possible health benefit as well) which would be spent to counter the “yo-yo” effect;
- The feeling of prolonged fullness could even make one feel much better in control and can thus be psychologically uplifting for the less-disciplined consumers.
Euromonitor was quoted recently at Nutraingredients.com that “The market for foods and beverages that claim to address weight management is set for shift in focus – from the omission of certain ‘bad’ ingredients to the addition of other ‘good’ ones”. The Euromonitor analyst added that “… satiety is set to be a big focus in the market for weight management …“.
DSM Nutritional Products is the world's leading supplier of vitamins, carotenoids and other fine chemicals to the feed, food, pharmaceutical and personal care industries. The business has sales of over EUR 2 billion and a long tradition as a pioneer in the discovery of new products, new formulations and attractive applications for all industry segments.
Products containing Fabuless