Salba® seed is being lauded as nature’s most nutritionally complete food, however Salba is still often confused with its cousin, chia seed. In fact, Salba has been called a “varietal of chia.” While Salba and chia stem from the same botanical (Salvia hispanica), Salba differs markedly from chia in many ways, from the way it’s grown to its powerful nutritional profile and supporting science. Florida-based Core Naturals is the exclusive distributor of Salba in the United States, its dominance in the marketplace resulting from 15 years of research together with leading nutritional scientists. Core Naturals manufactures a variety of products that contain Salba, including Whole Seed, Ground Seed, several Salba Oil products, and three new energy bars containing Salba seed. These products are available in natural food and select grocery stores nationally.
Salba is a nutritional tour de force:
· Salba is an Omega-3 star: Salba is the richest plant-based source of Omega-3 fatty acids. Plant-based omega-3’s, which are high in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), have been shown to reduce mortality by 70% in the groundbreaking Lyon Diet Heart Study – more than double the other trials that used Omega-3’s from fish. Salba outranks chia in Omega-3 content, with Salba containing about 229 mg/g and chia weighing in at about 175 mg/g. In fact, even flax contains more Omega-3 than chia at 193 mg/g.
· Protein Powerhouse: Salba has the highest protein content of any seed or grain. In comparison to chia, Salba’s protein content is 212 mg/g serving while chia’s is 156 mg/g serving. Further, its Protein Efficient Ratio (PER: a calculation used to evaluate the quality of a protein) is 70% higher than soybeans.
· Salba better than milk? Calcium is another area where Salba shines: Salba contains 92.4 mg/12g serving and chia has 75.7mg/12g serving. Gram for gram, Salba also contains six times more calcium than milk.
· And more…Salba is also loaded with both soluble and insoluble fiber, and contains high levels of antioxidants, calcium, magnesium and iron. Salba also contains no trans-fats, is low in carbohydrates, and is certified Non-GMO, Vegan, Kosher and Gluten-free.
Salba is grown under rigorous quality growing standards:
Core Naturals and the Salba agronomic research teams have spent the past 15 years perfecting the balance between science and nature. Salba is grown and harvested in ideal conditions under strict growing guidelines to ensure premium quality harvest.
Salba consists of two unique varieties of Salvia hispanica L grown using proprietary farming techniques and non-GMO selective breeding. Salba is the only variety of Salvia hispanica that has been clinically researched and is the subject of a medical patent in the field of diabetic research. Rigorous testing ensures nutritional consistency. Salba is classified as an heirloom crop.
Common chia consists of over 60 wild and domesticated varieties of the Salvia variety, each with a different nutrient profile due to variances in crop location, soil quality, irrigation practices and environmental factors. Due to non-standardized growing practices the black/dark brown seeds are considered a commodity and have never been clinically researched.
Salba seeds are in the ground for exactly 135 days, whereas chia is harvested within 60-90 days.
Salba backed up by hard science:
· While there is no hard science behind chia, Salba has received thumbs up in clinical tests and from notables in the nutritional research field. Salba is shown to help with Type 2 diabetes: a clinical study published in Diabetes Care (journal of the American Diabetes Association) proved Salba improves diet and reduces cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetics.
· Salba has been studied for many years using randomized clinical trials under the supervision of one of the world’s renowned researchers of nutrition: Vladimir Vuksan, Ph.D. Dr. Vuksan is Associate Director of the Risk Factor Modification Centre at St. Michael’s Hospital, and a professor at the Departments of Medicine and Nutritional Sciences at the University of Toronto. Currently, Dr. Vuksan is also Chair, National Nutrition Committee, Canadian Diabetes Association in Toronto. Dr. Vuksan has proven the many medicinal benefits of Salba in the treatment of diabetes.
About Core Naturals, LLC
Core Naturals is dedicated to the discovery of science-based raw materials, botanicals and ingredients from around the world, and, using proprietary formulas, to developing these ingredients into premium products for the nutrition, nutraceuticals and functional food markets. The company blends a deep regard for ancient/lost nutritional treasures with the latest technological advancements to bring extraordinary products to market. Core Naturals is dedicated to supporting sustainable harvesting practices and farming communities, and to utilizing manufacturing technologies that are environmentally sound.