"Opportunities in Organic" was the theme of Nov. 9's virtual Retail Discovery Session on the Natural Products Expo Virtual platform. In addition to a thorough presentation on organic attributes and messaging opportunities from New Hope Content Marketing Director Nancy Coulter-Parker, New Hope Vice President of Content Jessica Rubino interviews Jeff Shackelford, vice president of purchasing for The Healthy Edge Retail Group.
The Healthy Edge Retail Group owns 19 stores across three banners and it strives to make each store fulfill its market's individual needs. When considering a new product, the group's buyers consider how it compares to existing inventory, its target market and how the product will get to the stores, Shackleford says.
"We definitely look at all aspects, but start with the packaging and expand from there. What makes it different from products we've previously reviewed or currently have on shelf?" he says.
The NPEV Retail Discovery Sessions were created to support brand and retail connections in a focused, efficient format. Each session will feature trend and retail insights from New Hope Network and SPINS, along with a different group of featured retailers. During 2022, New Hope hosted these sessions:
- Jim Padelford of The Fresh Market.
- Jonathan Lawrence of Fresh Thyme Market.
- Steven Jamieson of PCC Community Markets.
- Le'Spencer Walker of Target.
- Christine McNerney and Jason Bidart of Thrive Market.
- Robin Brett of Kimberton Whole Foods, Jasmin Rosil of The Turnip Truck and Edgar Vargas of Vilore Foods.