Nutrition Business Journal's 2018 Sales Channel Report replaces the Direct to Consumer Report, which focused on only one method of delivering products to consumers. In an omnichannel world, there are many more considerations to take. Does a product need to be packaged and presented differently depending on whether the point of purchase is in a natural specialty store, a club warehouse or on a 4-inch smartphone screen? Breaking down the subcategories and channel niches makes devising the best possible distribution strategy more feasible.
The report has also expanded its previous focus to include supplements, natural and organic food and beverage, and natural personal care across the brick and mortar, internet, practitioner and multi-level marketing channels. These market categories are available as standalone reports at $2,195 or cumulatively, which includes the data and insights of all three, for $4,495. With detailed data that tracks where different product categories are selling and insight that will bring executives up to speed on ever-evolving dynamics, the Sales Channel Report becomes a tool to keep any omnichannel strategy running with optimal returns.
Claire Morton, Nutrition Business Journal's senior industry analyst, offers these top takeaways from the 2018 Sales Channel Report:
• Mass market retail dominates sales in the natural and organic products industry with more than half of total market share and over $120 billion in annual sales.
• E-commerce, while frequently discussed and rapidly growing in the double-digits, still represents only 4 percent of total market share.
• Consumers report frequenting mass, grocery and natural stores over other retail channels, including e-commerce.
• Manufacturers rate the top three challenges of online retail as driving awareness of product, navigating Amazon and standing out
• Natural and specialty retail has lost market share consistently since 2006, with growth slowing exponentially since 2015.
Fill out the form below to download the charts that these insights were derived from, and purchase the report here.
Download the top charts from the 2018 Sales Channel Report: