January is coming. Is your store ready to become a “resolution destination?” This is the first in a series of blog posts to help get you there.
For most natural products retailers, January is the most important month of the year. It’s a great month for sales, because so many people make health-related New Year’s resolutions. Many of the shoppers deciding to live and eat better are going to be new to your store, so the sales gains from January—if handled right—can lead to sales gains that last for the rest of the year and beyond.
The first step to being prepared for January is to determine which products you want to focus on. What do you carry that will fit in with major New Year’s resolutions? In the top list of resolutions are these things:
- Lose weight
- Quit smoking
- Get fit
- Eat healthy food
- Manage stress
- Reduce, reuse, recycle
It seems that you could put all of these New Year's resolutions under the topic of “shop at my local natural products store!"
Take time now to plan what products you want to feature in January to meet these needs for shoppers.
- What products have done well for you in the past?
- What new items do you have in these categories?
- What items do your distributor and key direct lines have on sale?
- If you commit to specific items in specific quantities, can you score a deeper discount so that you can hit some great price points? Engage now with your brokers and sales reps.
- Don’t get so focused on “big things” that you forget regular ones. People still need multivitamins!
- Also, January is still in the midst of cough-cold-flu season. Be sure to have those products well-represented. (Don’t leave out soup and other natural foods customers seek during cold weather.)