Natural Foods Merchandiser announced on Sept. 1 the winners of its first-ever Industry Innovator Awards, to be presented at Natural Products Expo East in Boston on Thursday, Sept. 24. From a retailer bringing fresh, high-quality food to underserved communities to a teen and her mom educating and encouraging young people to live naturally, award recipients represent the brightest shining stars in the fresh, grocery, business, health, beauty and gluten-free sectors.
“We’re honoring people who embody the passion, creativity and vision that makes naturals the exciting, vibrant community it is,” said NFM Editor Anna Soref. “These individuals are shaping our industry and creating a healthier, more sustainable world in the process.”
Awards will be presented to the following innovators:
• Brian Rohter, owner, New Seasons Market, Portland, Ore.
• Timothy Childs, founder, TCHO Chocolates, San Francisco, Calif.
• Jim Hoagland, founder, Nuevo Latino Cuisine, Boulder, Colo.
• Pamela Giusto-Sorrells, founder, Pamela’s Products, Ukiah, Calif.
• Michael Bylinkin, director of marketing, Hero Nutritionals, San Clemente, Calif.
• Judi Shils and Erin Schrodes, cofounders, Teens Turning Green, Sausalito, Calif.
Winners, profiled in NFM’s September issue, were nominated by industry peers and selected based on their contributions to their categories, innovation displayed in bringing new concepts to market and the demonstrated success of their business, organization or products.
“In previous years, our Legacy Awards honored individuals whose vision shaped the industry,” Soref said. “This is the next generation—people who are taking hold of that legacy and bringing naturals into the future.”
Please join us as we honor award recipients at the Community Celebration on Thursday, Sept. 24, at 6:30 p.m. in the Boston Convention Center North Lobby.