The 2016 edition of Natural Foods Merchandiser’s Market Overview represents the 36th year the magazine has presented statistics on store operations and the state of the natural products industry. From $1.9 billion in 1980 to $52 billion in 2015, sales in the natural products retail channels have come a long way.
Below are links to this year's charts and analysis.
2016 NFM Market Overview features:
- Crafting a new future for independent natural retail: After years of shrinking sales, store closures and widespread worry about encroaching competition, the clouds are finally clearing for independent natural products stores.
- Nimble independent retailers adapt to modern natural products shopper: Here, a handful of natural products retailers share how they cater to the modern consumer while nurturing relationships with their passionate, perceptive and even persnickety shoppers.
- Building authenticity at natural products retail: The word authenticity gets tossed around frequently in the natural products industry. Consumers value it. Brands have it. But what does this ubiquitous term actually mean when it comes to doing business in natural retail?
- Artisan technique, quality ingredients define natural personal care’s vibrant future: Sales growth for health and beauty products surpassed that of both food and supplements in the natural channel last year. Here's a look at what's working.
- Supplements spotlight: Which categories—and consumers—drove sales in 2015?: Herbs, education and renewing the "old standbys" among sales drivers for supplements. Learn the other hot areas and who is buying.
2016 NFM Market Overview data and charts include:
- Natural products stores' 2015 sales by category: Broad in-store category and organic growth.
- Average sales by store type: How many stores are growing and by how much.
- Profit and expense: Profit and expense lines as a percentage of budget.
- Growth and competition: How stores grew and plan to.
- Natural channel business statistics: Covers sales, product offerings, customers and employees.
- Universe of stores: The natural channel universe by store type.
- Regional independent growth: Independent sales by U.S. region.
Download the whole 2016 Market Overview as a PDF file here.
Methodology and definitions. Find out how Market Overview data are gathered and store types defined.