This year, New Hope Network replaced its Hall of Legends Awards with the first Community Purpose and Impact Awards, which recognize people and organizations working to move the natural products industry forward.
New Hope Network's Content Marketing Director Fran Schoenwetter presented the awards on March 10 at Natural Products Expo West. The first Joy Award recipient is Jimbo's Naturally, a retailer dedicated to organic and natural foods, supporting local businesses and protecting the environment.
"What's necessary to bring joy is, you have to have passion about what you do," said Jimbo Someck, owner of Jimbo's Naturally, after the awards ceremony. "You work so hard, you want to enjoy what you're doing because otherwise, it becomes work." Someck, a native New Yorker, opened the first of his five San Diego, California-area stores in 1984.
In addition to the Joy Award, individuals, activists, businesses and organizations are eligible for these honors:
- Ecosystem Award—For meaningful action to improve, connect or align the purpose-driven natural products industry ecosystem.
- Health Award—Received by Dr. Tieraona Low Dog for meaningful accomplishments in the areas of human health or nutrition.
- Justice Award—Two organizations, Project Potluck and (included) received this award for their significant accomplishments in the areas of food justice, climate justice or healthy food access.
- Regeneration and Sustainability Award—For consequential activity related to regenerative agriculture, stewardship, sustainability or regenerative business.
- Prosperity Award—Presented to Mid-Day Squares for achieving success while not losing sight of integrity or while being accomplished in the areas of health, joy, justice, sustainability or purpose.