CEO’s comments: “A sales growth of 22 percent (including license revenue from Nestlé 53 percent) and an operating margin of 26 percent for the full year 2014, can only be summed up as a successful year,” says Peter Rothschild, CEO of BioGaia AB. “The fourth quarter showed even better growth than the full year and it is once again gratifying to see that almost all of our markets are growing at a solid pace and that the BioGaia brand is becoming increasingly established, particularly among paediatricians, as the safest and most effective probiotic on the market.”
Full year 2014:
(Figures in brackets refer to the same period of last year)
- Net sales amounted to SEK 481.8 million (315.9), an increase of SEK 165.9 million (53 percent). Net sales include license revenue of SEK 95.4 million from Nestlé. Excluding license revenue from Nestlé, net sales totaled SEK 386.4 million, an increase of 22 percent (excluding foreign exchange effects, 18 percent).
- Net sales in the Paediatrics Business Unit reached SEK 313.7 million (238.6), up by SEK 75.1 million (31 percent).
- Net sales in the Adult Health Business Unit amounted to SEK 69.4 million (75.6), a decrease of SEK 6.2 million (-8 percent). ·
- Operating profit was SEK 196.9 million (81.7), an increase of SEK 115.2 million (141 percent). Excluding license revenue from Nestlé, operating profit was SEK 101.5 million, an increase of 24 percent (excluding foreign exchange effects and operating expenses for the subsidiary IBT, 21 percent).
- Profit after tax was SEK 148.0 million (64.2), up by SEK 83.8 million (130 percent). Excluding license revenue from Nestlé, profit after tax was SEK 73.6 million, an increase of 15 percent.
- Earnings per share totalled SEK 8.53 (3.57). Excluding license revenue from Nestlé, earnings per share were SEK 4.23.
- The period’s cash flow was SEK -25.0 million (-140.8). Cash and cash equivalents at 31 December 2014 amounted to SEK 210.7 million (234.3).
- The Board proposes to the upcoming AGM an ordinary dividend of SEK 3.46 per share and an extraordinary dividend of SEK 1.54 per share, for a total dividend of SEK 5.00 per share.
Fourth quarter 2014:
- Net sales reached SEK 121.4 million (90.2), an increase of SEK 31.2 million (35 percent) (excluding foreign exchange effects, 28 percent).
- Net sales in the Paediatrics Business Unit totaled SEK 97.8 million (65.6), an improvement of SEK 32.2 million (49 percent).
- Net sales in the Adult Health Business Unit amounted to SEK 23.0 million (24.1), a decrease of SEK 1.1 million (-4 percent).
- Operating profit was SEK 30.6 million (23.8), an increase of SEK 6.8 million (29 percent) (excluding foreign exchange effects and operating expenses for the subsidiary IBT, 23 percent).
- Profit after tax was SEK 19.1 million (16.3), an improvement of SEK 2.8 million (17 percent).
- Earnings per share totalled SEK 1.04 (0.94).
Key events in the fourth quarter of 2014:
- Publication of additional study showing that infants with colic cry less with BioGaia’s drops.
- Publication of study showing that BioGaia Protectis tablets are effective in constipated adults.
- BioGaia decides to invest in MetaboGen AB.
- Key events after the end of the year
- Agreement for the sale of drops in Vietnam.
- Nestlé launches new products with BioGaia´s probiotic.