New Hope Network Hemp and Cannabinoid Policy
Please Be Aware:
The New Hope Network Standards Program has adopted this policy for products that contain hemp and hemp-derived cannabinoids to help ensure the industry complies with existing regulations and to encourage best practices that help ensure quality and transparency. Acceptance as an exhibitor and approval for exhibition of any cannabinoid product at a Natural Products Expo is NOT a determination that the product complies with all local, state, and federal laws all of which may vary. Neither is it, nor is it intended to be, legal advice; exhibitors should always seek the advice of a qualified attorney.
New and Returning Exhibitors - Pre-Approval Required:
All products that contain cannabinoids, at any level (other than hemp seeds and hemp seed oils which have been designated GRAS), require pre-approval before they may be exhibited at any Natural Products Expo event.
Returning Exhibitors - Pre-Approval is not required for:
Products made from hemp seed and hemp seed oil.
Products made from hemp fiber that are not intended for ingestion or oral use, topical application or inhalation.
When reviewing cannabinoid products, our highest priorities are safety, transparency, truthfulness, reliability and responsibility.
- Products cannot contain more than 0.3% THC
- Disease claims and all claims explicitly rejected by FDA, e.g. chronic anxiety, are prohibited
- All statements must be substantiated
- Transparency, clarity, and truthfulness in labeling are required
- Responsibility and care for vulnerable populations are required
- Vapes and vape accessories are prohibited
- Devices, including patches, are required to have appropriate FDA clearance (510k, PMA, registration and/or listing)
- Exhibit review and approval is on a product-by-product basis
Statement of Purpose: Our goal is to enhance public health and safety, support industry self-regulation and foster the responsible growth of our industry. We present these standards in a spirit of cooperation with current industry efforts to ensure quality and integrity. We also believe these standards will increase consumer confidence in products promoted in our publications, trade shows and Internet sites. For more information, click on:
Standards department contacts:
Michelle Zerbib, Standards Director
Sarah Ela, Standards Specialist
Kim Templin, Standards Specialist
Gwen Easton, Standards Specialist
Shelley Sapsin, Standards Specialist
Lauren Pacheco, Standards Specialist
Ethan Carr, Standards Specialist
See our Standards Team in Action (video)