Life Extension® has introduced Brain Shield™, a new dietary supplement providing 300 mg of gastrodin in each capsule for maximum brain support. Scientists have found that gastrodin, a compound typically derived from a traditional Asian orchid Gastrodia elata, provides powerful support for the brain’s normal defenses and regenerative mechanisms.
Brain Shield is available in vegetarian capsule 60-count bottles. Suggested retail price (SRP) is $33.
Recent studies confirm that the gastrodin in Brain Shield is one of the most powerful compounds for supporting healthy brain function at any age. Gastrodin works by the following mechanisms:
- To retain normal function, the aging brain relies on adequate blood flow to get sufficient oxygen and fuel. It has been repeatedly shown that formulas containing gastrodin beneficially support normal, healthy levels of brain blood flow in both animals and in humans.
- The body maintains a delicate balance of neurotransmitters, such as GABA, which is of tremendous importance to healthy brain function. Studies show that alone or in combination the active compounds in gastrodin help maintain healthy levels of vital neurotransmitters in those whose levels are already within the normal range.
- With aging, short-term memory function is often impaired. Studies show that gastrodin and its active constituents may help support the healthy body's normal defenses against the mild memory problems associated with aging.
- Scientists have shown that the breakdown metabolites of gastrodin help provide support against the normal stress and tension of daily life.
- Brain Shield may help alleviate the occasional cranial pain associated with daily life.
Those seeking maximum benefit should start with one 300 mg capsule of Brain Shield taken twice daily. After 30 days, one Brain Shield (gastrodin) capsule daily may be sufficient based upon the experience of gastrodin as an over-the-counter (OTC) pharmaceutical agent.